33

It was almost winter. The palaces and other buildings had roofs thinly coated with shimmering snow. It would be an even more beautiful sight once the snow coats the rooftops completely. Winter trees that surrounded the crowded palaces made the entire scenery lively. Unfortunately, the bodies of water will remain still. It would be frozen. The sounds of rippling water below the bridge will not be a white noise when I speak to Jaxon. Quiet water running down the streams reminded me of our conversations under the bright moonlight on the bridge. Now, it will be dead silent. 

        Spring would come, then summer, and I was afraid if I never leave. But those thoughts don't last a long time in my head because I distract myself afterward. The Emperor invited me to an evening stroll. Shocking. It's been days since I last saw him. He still hasn't thanked me for defending his mother against the assassins. Guards from that night were punished. Some were even exiled and sent off to live elsewhere as commoners, some were executed. But it was very hard to get in here—very hard without someone letting them in willingly. There was something suspicious going on. It was good to see Jaxon being praised for defending the Empress Dowager quickly and had more privileges than the rest of them. There was a term for his position but I wasn't very knowledgeable outside of harem affairs. 

        He even spent time with the Emperor, which was a little troublesome for me. Jaxon and the Emperor bonding? I couldn't believe it. I can imagine them having afternoon tea and refraining from bringing up my name. 

         Since I haven't seen the Emperor for a great amount of time, I decided to put more makeup on and dress nicely. My maids threw a big fur cape around my body to keep me warm outside. The snow-white cape kept me snug and warm in my chilly chamber with one window. It was made with white fox fur and brocade. There were big fluffs of fur down the opening. 

         This was the time I was glad that I only had one window. Still, it was a pain to see in the dark and I had to light the candles.

        "Your Majesty," I bowed to greet the Emperor. He looked powerful in his black winter cape with red embroideries of dragons. However, he still looked cute. "It's getting a lot colder, don't you think?"

        He shines his million-dollar smile, or should I say a million-tael smile. Haha. The Emperor reaches for my hand and clasps it. "You must forgive me for not coming to you sooner. I've been very busy with state affairs. Our army will be heading up south for a battle against deranged warlords. I'm sure we will find the answers to this assassin crisis." The determination on his face gave me the chills. Ancient China had way too many unnecessary wars. If I ever became too known, I'll be in danger. 

         "Also," the Emperor leaned forwards towards my face and tilts my chin up. "Thank you for saving my mother. You almost sacrificed yourself for the Empress Dowager. I wish I could get mad at you, but I can't."

        "Your Majesty, it is my job to serve you but I backed out. I had to make it up to you." My voice was small. I remembered the strange tension between Hua Er and me after I came back from accompanying the Emperor. 

         Would I be even willing to give my body to the Emperor to go home? Did I have the guts to go against the Empress and win a metaphorical ticket to go home?

        I felt soft lips press against mine. It took me a second for my brain to process it. The Emperor was locking his lips with mine. It felt wrong. It felt really wrong. But I gave in and kissed him back. I slowly pulled away from him and peered up at him under my eyelashes. I smiled. "I didn't expect that from Your Majesty." 

        "I might be dull because I was busy with my work and duties, but I promise you I am full of surprises," he says as we walk along the path. "The season is changing rapidly, it was almost as if... yesterday was just autumn. How do you keep yourself busy when I am not there to see you?"