47

"Would you like to stop aimlessly staring outside?" Jaxon asked with a false annoyance.

         I peered behind my shoulder to stick my tongue out at him. He sighed. Jaxon had his legs kicked out in front of him, resting on a chair and his arms raised, hands behind his head. He looked way too relaxed in the situation. 

        While Jaxon gave me a doped look, my eyes were rolling itself. I exhaled. "I hate that you're so calm about the situation... It makes me so mad." I turned to look out the window again. There were still guards on duty. They have no idea that Jaxon is with me, but that doesn't worry me. "Besides, I'm just worried because... it's been three days and I haven't heard from Su Yin."

         Hua Er set her small frame on the chair across from Jaxon, quietly listening to us as she did. "Guan Shu has been taking such long naps... She's been moping around and I-I'm worried about her."

        "How's she feeling?" I asked quickly, lifting my body from the chair to rush towards the terrible excuse of a bedroom.

         Guan Shu had curled herself up in a fetal position. Her hair was tangled; the individual pieces of her hair knotted, attempting to embrace each other. A mournful woman, with no husband or child anymore. I knew nothing about Guan Shu's husband. Either he was dead or exiled. All I knew was that there was a broken woman under my nose and all I could do was kneel and hold her in my arms. 

         I didn't know if she was asleep or not, but she seemed entranced in a soothing deep dream. Her body was warm and I could feel her breathing against me. As I slowly untangled myself from her, Hua Er knelt to place a saucer holding a small teacup. 

        "Carmen," Jaxon whispered, casually walking towards us. "Su Yin is outside."

        There was a glint in his eyes. I could see it. Something about that small light in his eyes told me that I would be safe... safe from all of this. 

        The old, glum estate I lived in seemed to have a bright light reflecting into the wooden desk that I've never touched. It was a beautiful spring day. I could hear the birds' harmonious chirping, their words I could never understand, but I knew that there was a message they wanted to tell me. I looked like I came from a wintery nap rather than a spring beauty sleep, and I was surprised Jaxon still wanted to be close to me.

        We were just two lonely people in a populated place. We were just two individuals who didn't fit in with the rest.

        I poked my head out of the door. Su Yin raised her eyebrows subtly as she tilted her chin up. I'm sure she was trying to hide the shock of my appearance. The Empress didn't want me to see Su Yin, of course. She wanted to take all the good things away from me.

        Su Yin started the conversation, even giving me a slight smile at first. 

        "Lady Ying Yue." Su Yin took a deep inhale and exhaled out with a gradually, growing smile. "I don't know how you did it but, the Emperor is considering a second trial. He's suspicious."

        My lips twitched from excitement.

        Su Yin continued, "You are quite a devious woman. I am quite lucky that I am on your side and nobody else's."

        My shoulders began to relax and I soon felt the spring breeze hit my face. No sneezes, no itchy nose, just pure love from Mother Nature. I felt the warmth of the sunlight, and as I close my eyes to take another joyful breath, I can still hear the birds chirping. 

        "Han Ying Yue," Jaxon appeared behind Su Yin with two other guards strictly next to him. He frowned, but the little glint in his eyes was still there. "His Majesty would like to see you for a second trial."