54

Jaxon watched me intently as I told him about everything that happened. I also talked about my plan. He sat on a chair with his legs spread out in a casual manner, nodding his head while I spoke.

         I was overly dramatic. 

         My hands were waving everywhere. I gestured everything and even my heart rate was increasing. The passion I had for this was unreal. It was burning and my body was responding. His eyes followed my waving gestures and then at me while I paced back and forth as I spoke.

        By the time I finished, Jaxon had his mouth slightly opened, gaping at me in astonishment. 

        "I can't believe you planned that without me," he mockingly sighed. "What a shame. I thought we were close."

        I let out a small chuckle. "Well, where were you? You never paid me a visit."

        "Do you know how difficult it is to sneak in? I may or may not have almost broken my legs," Jaxon crossed his arms and pouted.

          He continued to hold his pout while I attempted to hold back my smile. It was hard not to adore him. I gave in and tilted my head at him, then laughing softly. I dropped my head down to hide my full smile but ended up making it too obvious. Jaxon looked at me with fake disapproval.

         Standing a little above six feet tall, Jaxon towered over me and gently rested his palm on my shoulder. "So what can I do to help?"

          "You know that assassin that I left alive?" I placed my hand on his forearm as I raised my eyebrows in a devilish manner.

          "Obviously." Jaxon's lips curled slightly to match my energy. The smugness played on his face as he anticipated whatever was next.

          There were still two people left to interrogate. I had a feeling the assassin I left alive was not someone that would be the difficult one. He was an easy one to question. Besides, I'll make a deal with him, something that he can't refuse. The Emperor will exile him under my influence. If he refuses, then he chooses death.

          However, I'll need to gain the confidence to pull this off. If I show any weaknesses or a lack of confidence in my persuasion, everything will fall out of place. I've never done this before. Fortunately for me, that shows my morality.

          Unfortunately for me, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm relying on fate and what I know. The more I step forward into this plan, the more I am afraid and uncertain.

        I gave Jaxon a cunning smile. "Take me to prison."

        Again, the flashbacks come. Not the flashbacks with me in the cell, but the flashbacks with Chen Xi in the cell. I already started to recall the memories of her begging me for forgiveness. She wept so hard that I felt the pain in her voice. I know I should be upset and hurt over her betrayal—which I am—but Chen Xi would have never obliged if it wasn't for the pressure. 

       She had to do what she had to do. I don't know if I'd do it, but family relations were extremely valued during this time. It was her own father for goodness sake. I shouldn't blame her. Then again, I felt like I was deceiving myself because I don't blame her.

        The agonizing days in the Cold Palace still made me cringe. Living in such a condition was torturous for me. 

        Jaxon led me to him straight away. The assassin didn't have the cloth around his face. He was revealed as a man who may be approximately in his thirties. The strain on his face was present but he didn't look at me with a temper.