06

I closed my eyes for a few seconds, my heart was beating out of my chest. I was wincing. I removed my hands from my face and was welcomed by the Emperor's torso. He blocked my view of the event, but I didn't mind too much. I was surprised he shielded me. If he had lost me, I don't think it would make any difference in his life. 

        I sighed in relief and stood up. They watched me cautiously. I flicked a few strands of hair off my sweaty face. "I almost died."

         "She almost died," the Emperor barked, still standing in front of me. "What do you want to say for yourself?" 

       "I beg your pardon, Your Majesty!" one of the men kowtowed to him, continuously bowing in a panicky manner. 

        "All of you!" he swung the sleeve of his hanfu briskly. "This piece is one of my favourites. The choreograph, the music, the costume, the... art, has always made a long-lasting impression, but what is this? How dare you perform this piece but can't get it right! How long have you been practising? A day? A week?"

        I could tell that he was enraged, but I've never seen him like this. His back was still facing me, but I could tell by his tone that he was in immense frustration. His shouting frightened me. Whenever he raised his voice, I jumped. The rest of the performers kowtowed and begged for their lives to be spared. They frantically bowed and I could tell behind their costumes, they were quivering. Some had removed their masks in respect to the Emperor, while some kept their masks on due to panic. I hoped the Emperor did not accept their apologies. I did not enjoy having a near-death experience. In fact, I actually experienced one not too long ago. An incompetent driver had caused me to end up in this hellhole, and I did not want to go through with another world even more ancient than this. 

        As I looked around the room, the Empress had her eyebrow cocked, with a bitter expression on her face. It didn't take me long to believe that she was apart of this act to get me killed. It's a shame that it'll take more than that. The other concubines looked miserable and slightly uncomfortable. 'That could've been me', they probably thought. Indeed, it could've been, but I was the one who experienced it. Please, a bit more sympathy for me. The room was filled with unease and I could tell. I doubt the concubines have seen the Emperor like this as well.

        "Guards! Escort them out of the palace," the Emperor roared aggressively. "No rewards for them. I forbid them to ever come back!" 

         As they were ushered out, I felt relieved. 

        "Well, it was lovely until I almost died..." I laughed nervously. 

        The Emperor studied me with a troubled look. The smile on my face slowly faded, as his hand reached for mine. "Are you okay?"

        "U-Uh, yes, Your Majesty, haha," I forced a smile on my face. "Just almost got killed, ha, nothing new..." 

        I knew I fixed the uncomfortable atmosphere in the room because the Emperor and a few of the girls laughed. 

        He softly cupped my face, then pulling away to face everyone else. "Time to head back to your chambers, an unexpected accident had come upon Imperial Concubine Han, but we must be glad that she is safe."

        "Yes," the Empress chimed in with a forced frown on her face. "We are glad that Imperial Concubine Han is safe, that was terrible."

        As everyone else was ushered out, the Empress, who was the only woman wearing red, was still noticeably waiting for the Emperor. I was about to leave but the Emperor gently held my wrist and turned me around. "Ying Yue, would you like to stay and talk for a while? You must be in shock."