55

It was the day. The day I smile up at Guan Shu and Rong Er to let them know that their murderer will be exposed. 

        I applied a fresh scent of jasmine on my neck and wrists. Since there weren't perfume bottles in ancient China and I didn't want to do what the other people did, I made my own perfume. It was easy. 

        Time was quite slow but I was ecstatic for Hua Er to announce that it was officially two in the afternoon. My palms were clammy and no matter how much I wiped them across my bed sheets, it was still sweating buckets. I felt this rush in my body as I tried to breathe slowly. I avoided all the negative thinking in my head, which was hard—very hard. I was easily an overthinker so there were thousands of outcomes already visualized in my head.

        No matter how much I tried to push those thoughts aside, it kept playing in my head. I was capable of anything. 

        Guan Shu would scold me and tell me to stop bringing so much attention to myself, but she wasn't here anymore. She would swat me away and tell me that I was crazy. Rong Er would shake his head and not understand what I was saying. I felt the smile on my face.

        Fen Xi avoided bringing up the topic of Chen Xi or Guan Shu, but I knew she wanted to ask me when I was going to get a sixth maid. I was actually allowed eight maids, but six was enough for me. I remained with five because I just didn't want to replace Guan Shu's spot. Was it time to get over it? Yes, but I don't think I will.

         "Your Grace," one of my eunuchs, Li Shi, approached the doorway. He bowed before setting a container on the table. "The Empress was worried about your health, and she wanted to deliver this to you."

        I widened my eyes. "Her Majesty? She is very considerate."

        "I believe so," the eunuch nodded in agreement, but there was an unsettling expression on his face. "But for your safety, Your Grace, I'd suggest you check it with a needle."

        Li Shi was fairly old. He had kind eyes and he's always been very sweet to me. Knowing that not everyone was out to get me in the harem was comforting.

         "Thank you," I smiled, then taking the top off the container. "I'd like you to deliver a message to the Empress's maid, Xiao Li. I believe she was waiting for me at the bridge near here..."

        "Of course, Your Grace." the eunuch walked closer towards me. 

        I looked at him and wiped my spoon. "Tell her that I won't be coming to her chamber to help her out with the paintings... I believe I need to relax after drinking the soup."

        "I will do," the eunuch nodded. He hesitantly looked at the bowl of soup, already concerned whether if I was going to drink it or not.

        "You may leave now," I gave him a reassuring smile. 

        "Y-Yes, Your Grace." he bowed before he left.

        Hua Er, Fen Ai, and Snoopy sat down around me. I looked at them and I felt empty. I reminisced about my Noble Consort life and how easy it truly was. That was when I was naive and was able to trust the people who associated with me. 

         Now, I was too afraid to even speak badly about the Empress with my other maids. I mean I still do, but there was a fear factor to it. 

        Everything will change in almost an hour and I was going to do the best I could. I was ready. If I wasn't ready, I wouldn't be able to pull this off. My eyes were slightly watering too. I would, again, be vulnerable in front of Hua Er and my maids. I didn't want them to assume that I didn't know what I was doing. I wanted to be sure of everything.