17

My mouth began to be dry up as the Empress continued to interrogate me. I waited long enough for the eunuch to fetch Lei Shu. I needed her right now, more than ever. I swallowed with the tiniest amount of saliva while I began to answer her last question.

        "Are you quite certain you're not from another region? You don't show up on the records." She raised an eyebrow before she took another long sip of her wine.

         Her eyes didn't leave my face. The Empress was giving me piercing looks every time I spoke confidently. Her insecurity and co-dependency on her husband scared me because this is what she continues to do when she's bored. I already knew why this was going to be the last question. I was too drained to give her a snappy answer. She put me on the spot, and I had nothing to say. I wasn't on the records at all. No files of me. Nothing. I lost my case, therefore my life is down the drain. My voice was getting hoarser, and hoarser and my migraines were killing me. 

        "I... Your Majesty, I wouldn't know why. My parents left me when I was three, stranded in the middle of the market, and the maid Lei Shu offered a home for me," I lied.

        "Your Majesty, do you see all the excuses she's making?" the Empress protested as she glanced near the left corner of the hall. Worry struck her eyes. I turned around. I was welcomed by Lei Shu's presence. She kowtowed anxiously next to me and greeted the Emperor.

        "Your Majesty, may I begin?" the eunuch began to pace back and forth in front of me.

        "Proceed," the Emperor spoke.

        "Lei Shu, you were in the room with Lady Ying Yue throughout the period Her Majesty was with the Emperor, am I correct?"

        "Yes."

        "Lady Ying Yue requested the Emperor to take you into the Palace to work as a maid, correct?"

        "Yes."

        "Your Majesty, isn't this suspicious behaviour already?" The eunuch turned to face the Emperor. Both of his arms were out like he was shrugging.

        "Indeed it is," which the asshole replied back with.

        Hua Er's mother gave me a nod and proceeded to bow to the Emperor. "Your Majesty, we would never do this! Ying Yue was framed! Ask the kitchen chefs and see for yourself! Ying Yue wouldn't even be able to access anything!"

        As I faced Lei Shu, I could tell she had freshly cried before she came to this trial. Her tear-stained cheeks signified her stress over me. Of course, I miss my mother, and somehow Lei Shu soothed that pain.

***

        An erupt noise of feminine footsteps began to thunder against the floor. The chaotic sounds caused Hua Er to pause and set her sewing kit aside. 

         "It's this room!" a small but aggravating voice spoke out, and it didn't take long for Hua Er to figure it was Niu Lin. Hua Er caught on quickly and jumped right onto her feet. She dashed straight away to the back of the room and behind the large closet. With one hand over her mouth, she peeked out to spot Niu Lin and a few of her minions barging in without knocking. They entered in a scattered format. Hua Er hastily pulled her head back.

        Small chatters overlapped each other until one concubine raised her voice. "Milady, we should hide it under the closet."

        "Great idea!" Another has spoken, one who has never been able to see the Emperor at all. She has never been blessed by the Emperor's presence, therefore she was filled with hatred towards the ones who were.