36

A day after the reveal of another concubine's pregnancy, the harem was getting hectic. So far, three women are pregnant and none of them is the Empress. I tried my best to refrain from going outside, just in case the Empress notices me and tries to harass me. 

        Princess Hua Yang, the eldest princess, decided to stay in the Imperial place rather than the capital. The face she made after she looked at me was something I couldn't get rid of in my head. Why did she look startled? What was my reputation outside of these walls? Hua Yang knew my name as well, without asking me the first time. I felt guilty for not knowing her name, but she smiled at me with her eyes and understood me. I always thought princesses were snobby because they were born in prestige—but Hua Yang was very humble. 

        On the other hand, the youngest princess was not. 

       "Your Highness, did you steal my pastries? That was my lady-in-waiting's." I interrogated the bratty little princess. 

       The youngest princess stood a few inches below me. She squinted at me like I was absurd and crossed her arms. "Why would I steal your bitter pastries? I can ask my brother to give me a dozen!"

        "I don't know. I saw you in the corner of my eyes... Give it back!" I exclaimed. As much as I wanted to slap her across the face, she was my superior. This frustrated me to the point where I had the urge to run to the Emperor and snitch on her like I was back in grade school.

        "Chase after me, then!" the princess shrieked, proceeding to run around in my chamber. I prayed that the pastries didn't slide off the plate. 

        She jumped on my bed and jumped back down. Her mischievous grin said it all. The youngest princess looked as if she was the same age as Hua Yang, but her personality was as childish as a toddler. It was weird to think that she was fifteen. I've never met a teenager that juvenile in my life. Indeed, I thought princesses were taught etiquette and precise mannerisms when they are in their adolescents. So why was she running around in my room? 

         I had a suspicion that she wasn't even permitted to step foot in the harem but she did anyway. 

        Hua Er and I swapped glances. She was occupied with the novel in her hand that she barely cared about the teen triumphantly jumping on the bed. Hua Er wasn't a big fan of children, let alone a teenager acting like one. 

         "Mei, get down now!" 

        I whipped my head around to catch a view of a beautifully created man at my doorway. His features were remarkably defined. The sun-kissed skin was so rare to see in this day and age. The cheek definition, the strong jawline, the narrow but beautiful eyes. I almost fainted

        No way. I had to put up a front. I was loyal to the Emperor and only to the Emperor. 

        "Greetings to Your Highness." Hua Er quickly got up from the bed and kneeled, I followed quickly although I couldn't believe that he was related to the Emperor. The Emperor was also good-looking but they did not look alike. 

        The Emperor had an angry pale face and the prince had a gently, lightly tanned face. A great difference there, actually.  

        "Brother! You interrupted our playtime!" The princess hopped off my bed and casually walked over to the prince. 

        "Mei, apologize to Noble Consort Han right now," he demanded angrily before facing Hua Er. His face softened. "It's 'Lordship' now, but please do get up." 

        The princess groaned and turned to look at me. When she placed the plate on the drawer, she stuck her tongue out and tried to run away from the scene. We watched as she struggled to run but stayed in the same spot.