08

I dreamt of a mother bird watching over her babies. It was a little hazy, as there were only a few parts I managed to understand. The mother bird flew, and flew into the sky, attacking anyone who went against her children. It was a hazy, dark night and the wind was strong. The mother bird was extra protective, she eyed every human running from the rain as targets, she even eyed the little boy jumping in the large puddle. The boy squealed in ecstasy but his mother scolded him. Of course, they had to go home. The boy was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, not a bright yellow raincoat. Finally, the mother bird gets tired and arrives back at her nest. However, the strong winds have blown it away. And so, the mother bird is in defeat.

        Before I woke up, I was in tears. I cried although I was still dreaming. I laid in bed with tears trailing down from my eyes, but I kept my eyes closed. I wonder if I lay here for the whole day, the higher entities above will get bored of me and help me go back to 2018. I missed my family. It hasn't been a week but I was already going insane. The thought of people that cared for me, searching everywhere to find me, saddened me to such an extent. The idea of me never coming back home—and accessing the Internet, crushed my spirit. I felt out of reach with my true reality. I was still at home, in my head, but my body was here. The embrace of homesickness felt foreign, liberating, but also frightening, knowing that I may not make it out. 

       But I sensed another presence with me.

        "You have awakened," His Majesty breathed.

        His face was about ten inches away from me. He was kneeling to face me. I didn't expect him to pop up into my chamber uninvitedly, but I wasn't complaining at all. He didn't smile, yet he had a friendly tone in his voice.

         "Good morning, Your Majesty. May I ask why you've come this early in the morning?" I yawned, covering my mouth as I widened my mouth. He would be unattracted after looking at me yawn.

        "I just wanted to see how you were. Nothing unexpected happened, except for me showing up," the Emperor replied, backing away from me as I got up from the second bed. "May I ask why your lady-in-waiting is sleeping on your bed?"

        Is he mad? I couldn't tell if he was or not. He looked at me with no expression on his face; he studied me carefully. Does he know that it makes me nervous? I smoothed the front of my hair down. I tried to make it seem like I was busy doing something to think of my answer. 

         "Truthfully, Your Majesty, I wanted to take turns with Hua Er because it's not fair for me to take the bed every night. I apologize and take any blame for it if I broke any rules."

        The Emperor, still, showed no expression. It was as if he was thinking about something. "That's very courteous of you. There are no rules involving this. Truly, I just didn't expect you to do it."

        This pig.

        "You think I'm a horrible person, Your Majesty? Is that what you were aiming for? I thought we made it clear that whatever happened the first time we met, I was being rebellious and foolish," I retorted.

        As his back was turned against me, I could see his shoulders moving, and his entire body shaking. His laughter spread across the room, and it was the most unexpected thing that ever happened to me. It was too early for this. "I'm amused by the look of your face, forgive me if I offended you," he faced me again, a big smile spread on his face like a little boy after someone gave him toy cars for his birthday. "It's entertaining to tease you."

        "I'm glad to amuse you, Your Majesty."

        I will slap you silly.

        "Of course," the Emperor replied. He opened his mouth to say something but paused. "I wish I could talk to you more, but I am very busy. I hope to see you soon, Ying Yue."