Chapter Eight. Tangled thoughts.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up Lily from the kindergarten every day, but that day, against Bill’s wishes I convinced Allison of dying my hair brown again, so now all of my hair was slightly darker than it used to be and had a few little blonde strands here and there in a sort of golden colour, something that Bill completely adored through the deception of not being blonde with me anymore…he acted like he was really sad. I didn’t know how to feel about it, people liked it but…I was just relieved that I didn’t have to worry about the roots anymore. Dying my hair was just something I could live without.

“Hello, you must be Lily’s mother!” The teacher told me as I got to the door of the small classroom. I had never been called that. “You’re so young!”

“Uhm, thanks…” I took the sunglasses off my face and put them on top of my head. “I’m actually Lily’s sister.”

“Oh, I’m sorry…” the lady’s eyes opened wide and she blushed. “You look so alike, I thought-“ I smiled and watched as Lily picked up her little bag and waved at her friends before waving at me with that cheeky smile of hers that made her look devilish and cute at the same time.

“Don’t apologise, it is okay. I’m flattered. We’re only half-sisters.” I watched as my sister waved goodbye at her teacher and gave me her hand. “Thank you, I just want to speak to you about this…we’re going out of the city for a few days, would there be a problem?”

“No, we’re totally fine, when would she be absent?” I held on to Lily’s hand as she stared up with her big eyes sparkling.

“Maybe three weeks next month, I’ll make sure to send in a letter if that’s necessary.” I explained, bothered by how much my accent sounded closer and closer to Tom’s…I’d prefer to have a thick Spanish accent, but I sounded so German I couldn’t help it.

“No, no…its fine, I’ll make sure to give her some special homework though; she’s behind on English so we should think of getting her special lessons sometime…but it’s too soon to tell, we’ll have to work hard before getting there, won’t we Lily?” The small girl nodded and smiled at her teacher.

“Well, thank you again. Have a nice day.”

I walked to the car with Lily, putting my sunglasses back on my face. Lily had decided on getting Tom’s special touch that morning so she was wearing her hair on a ponytail sort of thing with her whole hair curled in a ball, it looked funny to me, but Tom had managed to put the blonde hair in a hairstyle that kept the whole of it in order. I put her on her little chair in the back of the car and drove off to the sound of the radio and Lily pretending to know the lyrics.

When we arrived home there was a group of guys on the living room, some friends of Tom’s we greeted before going down the hall to put everything on Lily’s room. I sat with her on the floor as we took the notebooks out of her backpack. She stared at me as I found her homework. She was just learning to read and it was obvious to me that she had a hard time doing so, she was still a little younger than the rest of her classmates but that had been the only teacher who’d agree to give her a shot; a kid who spoke no English and whose legal guardian-  me -had no idea what grade to put her on.

“Lily, this is easy!” I looked at the cards with letters and drawings; there were these animals and things to exemplify the letter. Alarm for A and Zoo for Z. “Can you say Alarm?” I asked her. She tilted her head to the side; no, she never listened when I tried to teach her English, and I guessed maybe Tom should have a go at it, but not now. “Okay, are you hungry?” She clapped her hands and spoke up excitedly.