69.

Elaine's POV

Harry Styles' Dumped While in Jail ...

Harry Styles' Ex Finds New Man in New York ...

Harry Styles' Ex-Girlfriend Elopes with High School Sweetheart ...

Harry Styles.

Harry Styles. 

Harry Styles.

It's deja vu all over again.

His name was all over the place, always haunting me, always reminding me of what happened between us. Hearing his name, reading his name, even thinking it was like salt to the wound in my heart. And it didn't help that I was being tied to him all the time.  I ran away, thinking our ties would be severed, but I was so wrong.

Many magazines and tabloids have contacted to me tell my part of the story, offering me amounts of money I thought I would never have, but I turned them all down.  I didn't have the confidence to say anything.  I didn't want to lie, and I didn't have a truth to tell them.  I didn't know what the truth was anymore.

Everybody hated me, even more so now that they believed those headlines.  But I could care less about whether people liked me or not, that I didn't give two shits about.  All I cared about was him.  All I worried about was him. 

"Can you please eat something that's actually good for you," Chris complains for the third time this week as he walks pass the counter where I'm eating breakfast. "You can't base a diet off of nothing but Lucky Charms and tea.  At this rate, you'll get sick."

"Who are you? My mother?" I tease him.  He flashes me a serious expression as he pours himself a glass of orange juice ... organic orange juice. 

The man is all about organic this, organic that. I practically had to beg him to pick up some Lucky Charms for me this week.  We even had to settle on organic tea.  It doesn't taste anything close to Anne's, but it'd have to do for the time being.

Though he is right and I hate him for it. My stomach has been feeling a little uneasy this week. Maybe I should start eating healthier.

"Talking about your mother," he starts, making me slightly anxious.  "Have you called her?"

I shake my head.  I didn't want to call her.   She would force me to go, and I didn't want to go back.  That's the last place I need to be.  She's been calling me so many times this week, I ignored all her calls by jacking out the battery.  And I didn't know how to put it back in so I, technically, I don't have a phone anymore.

"You have to tell her where you are.  It's been a week.  And you haven't even unpacked," he adds.  I know that last part bothers him the most.  To be honest, I wasn't completely sure if I would stay here permanently. 

I mean, it's a bit odd.  Chris and I.  Being roommates.  I would have never in a million years thought I'd be here in New York with him.

I glance over to my suitcase by the front door.  It looks so bleak and lonely.  I didn't have the heart to go through my things yet, knowing some of them, no, everything would remind me of him. 

"If you won't, I will," Chris threatens and I turn my attention to him again, wearing a frown.

"Please don't."

He sighs, mulling over my plead.  He shakes his head subtly before he walks around the apartment kitchen and places his phone on the counter in front of me.

"Call her," he demands quietly.  "If you don't want to go back, you don't have to.  You're an adult.  You can do things without her permission.  And if she still doesn't agree, I'll be here to help you."