55.

Like Real People Do - Hozier

Never Stop - Safetysuit

Elaine's POV

After Harry says 'Hello', his expression completely falls. All of his movements stop as he stares out in one, stagnant direction. He looks completely shocked, angry even. My mind tries to rationalize why he's looking so serious all of a sudden but there's no explanation that comes to my head.

I want to ask who it was, but I'm regardful of how Harry's mood has suddenly shifted. Now's not the time.

"Hold on a minute," he assertively replies, his voice devoid of any emotion. It throws me off a bit, hearing how cold and morbid Harry's voice could potentially get. I hope he never talks to me that way. His jaw tenses as he flashes me a look. "I'll be right back. Stay here with Barbara," he says, his voice quieter and softer towards me.

All I can do is nod. I watch his back as he becomes smaller and smaller through the hallway. He exits the back door of the small bakery and takes a turn to the left, disappearing behind the wall.

Who could possibly call Harry and cause him to turn so .. unlike him?

"Did you finish your planes? — Where's Harry?" Barbara asks before I can answer her first question. I turn my head towards her. She's carrying two paper bags that's half of her size in her arms. I leave the paper airplanes on the counter as I run to help her with both of them before she topples over. In many ways, she reminds me of Betsy. They're both around the same age, fragile looking but so strong willed.

"He had to take a phone call. Where do you want these, Barbara?"

"Over there is fine, dear," She points to the table, letting me know where to set them. What is in these bags? They're heavier than I anticipated.

"Must be very important if he let a call interrupt a date."

A date? The word almost causes me to drop the bags from my arms along the way to the table. Once I place the them down, I look her way. She's standing behind the counter, her back facing me as she gazes at the menu up above.

"We're not on a date," I say, a reluctant smile pulling at my lips as she motions around to face me. "Just a normal Sunday afternoon."

"Look at you still denying it," Barbara says mischievously. "I might be old, but I'm not foolish."

"I'm not trying to," I politely tell her, hoping she wasn't offended. "Harry didn't even mention the word to me so I'm not exactly sure if it is or not."

This isn't a date .. I can't even remember the last time I've been on an actual date. This can't be a date .. Is it? It's not like Harry asked me formally or anything.

But if this is a date, the small act of bringing me to his favorite place, and his old workplace for our first official date is surprisingly .. okay with me. I'm not the slightest disappointed that our first date isn't fancy or grand.

Even though normal people think that going on dates is a harmless thing, I think it's true opposite. I used to detest going on dates. Even when I was with Kai. It just reminded me that I was in this relationship. That I was with someone who I sincerely cared about. That I was committed to someone who could essentially leave me.

But the thought of Harry, just the simple thought of Harry and I being on our first date doesn't even bother me as much as it would.

Maybe it's because I know that he cares about me too. Because I know he's a committed, genuinely good person. But mostly, because he came back to me when no one else did.