86.

Elaine's POV

It's been a week since I last saw Harry. A torturously long one.  But since we've both been calling each other every night, it did soothe me a little. Every night, we would talk mostly about Charlotte. What she was like as an infant, things she likes and dislikes, her first words. But near the end of every conversation, we would discuss ways on how and when to break the news to Charlotte.

This is a serious issue and a really big change.  For Harry.  For me.  For Charlotte.  For all of us.

And we both didn't want to rush into things or do or say anything on impulse.  We're no longer children.  We're both adults now. 

More than that, we're parents.

"Elaine..." He says my name with a tired sigh.

"Harry..."

My fingers clamp around my phone tighter, nervous from hearing the stress in his voice.

"I know we said we wouldn't rush into things, but .. I want you to come over to my place."

Are we still talking about Charlotte?

"Why? What do you mean?" I ask, moving off the bed.  Slowly, just in case Charlotte wakes up.

"I mean, I want to invite you and Charlotte over.  I can cook you girls dinner, I don't know, we could watch a movie. I just want to spend time with the both of you. I've already lost so much time."

The thought both uplifts and disheartens me. Of course I want them to spend time with one another. I want that more than anything. The only part that kills me is the last phrase that fell from his lips. Five years doesn't seem like a long time, but all those precious moments he missed. He and I both regret it.

"Okay," I agree with a bittersweet smile. "She's going to have to get used to being around you, isn't she?"

"Does tomorrow work?"

"Yes. Tomorrow is perfect."

"Okay, I'll pick you girls up at four."

"Sounds good," I pause, not wanting to say good bye just yet. "Have you talked to your mom yet?"

"No," he says to me. "But don't worry, I'll tell her soon."

"No."

"No?"

"Let's tell her together," I suggest, slightly holding my breath. Even though my fear about Harry not accepting Charlotte is gone, I'm still insecure about his parents and their reaction.

"Okay, we'll do it together," he says through a yawn. "It's getting pretty late. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Mhm," I mumble.

"Good night, Elaine."

"Good night, Harry."

...

By the time the clock strikes three the next day, a knock appears on the door and I surge from the couch, knowing it's Harry on the other side. He's an hour early!