13.

"I can live without your support, Quinn," I say to the secretly distraught neurosurgeon as I pack the last box of bracelets into the trunk of his car. He's letting me borrow his Toyota RAV4 for today.

Of all cars he could have picked, he picked the ugliest car. The ugliest color too--yellow. At least it has a Green Bay Packers license plate that makes it more drivable.

"I don't know if you can," he says back with a wimpy smile. "Are you sure you don't want me to be there at your grand opening? I know I said I had important errands to run, but I can always move them to tomorrow."

"I'll be fine." I try to assure him but he looks less than convinced. He's being such a worrywart. Just like Marco. "You've got enough to do today and besides, it's not that grand of an opening," I say getting into the driver's seat. "I'll see you later."

"Now, don't rush," he warns me, placing his body in between the car door and me. "You know which one is to brake and which one is to accelerate, right?"

I give him a solemnly annoyed look. I know I haven't been driving for a long time now, but it's common sense which pedal does which.

"I know," I roll my eyes.

"Okay," he mumbles. "Now don't worry, Ingrid."

Ingrid? Really? That's what he decided to call his car.

"You'll see daddy very soon, okay?" He rubs the top of his car with his hand in a smooth, circular motion and I'm thinking to myself, how did he ever get a girlfriend?

"Bye, Quinn." As he hesitantly removes himself from the space, I shut the door. Before I leave, I pull down the window and say to a slightly worried Quinn, "If you have time later, let's go get some lunch. My treat."

"I don't know. I might just end up paying like I always do."

"I promise .. I will pay this time."

Quinn nods excessively, giving me more than five okay's. He begs me to leave quickly before he changes his mind about me borrowing his 'baby'.

Ugh. Boys and their cars.

...

The sky is a lovely shade of blue when I finally arrive at the market. Other sellers are beginning to set up their stores and I make a brief stop at one of the food stalls to pick up a strawberry and Nutella crepe. It's not the most practical thing for breakfast, but it looked like the only thing to satisfy my appetite for breakfast.

Business is pretty slow the first hour which I expected. Who comes at six in the morning to buy bracelets? Then again, who comes at six in the morning to sell bracelets.

Me, that's who.

An hour later with literally no business and dying hopes of making even a penny, I receive a text from Marco that slightly uplifts my spirits.

"You can do it, Elaine! I believe in you! Nothing good is ever easy! I'm only a phone call away if you need me. (:"

The encouraging message lessens the tiresome burden on my heart a little. It's more than discouraging when no one pays any attention or takes any appreciation in the hard work one puts in.

My first customer is actually one of the daughters of the stall beside me. She's short and slender, has long, black hair. Maybe around her early teens. She tells me she's been eyeing my bracelets and had to beg her dad for five dollars just to buy one.

"Well, I think it's your lucky day because I'll give you two bracelets for five dollars instead of one," I say, giving her the biggest grin. Her face lights up in delight and quickly picks two while handing me the bill.