87.

Harry's POV

Elaine and I ... Wow.

It's been a long time since I've been able to say that.

Elaine and I decided that today was the day. Today was the day we were going to tell Charlotte. Before she learns it anywhere else, or figures it out on her own, we knew we couldn't wait any longer. And honestly, this feeling was more nerve-wracking than any other I've felt, even more so if I compared to performing on stage. And I could never get used to that feeling.

I picked up some quick things from the 7/11 on the corner of the street for breakfast - eggs, pancake mix, milk, and some chocolate syrup. On my way down the aisle, I decided to get Lucky Charms as well. Knowing Elaine, she'd probably prefer them.

While I prepare breakfast in the kitchen, I hear soft shuffling footsteps approach closer. When I turn around, I don't see anyone around which confuses me for a moment. But when I look down, I realize the sound came from a little girl, whose eyes are blinking with curiosity.

"Are you making breakfast Harry?" She asks me.

"I am," I reply with a grin. "Did you want to help me, little one?"

She nods enthusiastically, and I slide a chair from the dining room, setting it parallel to the counter. She does most of the stirring while I deal with the heat. I keep my eyes off of her for one second and when I glance over to her, her cheeks are plastered with pancake mix. The image is enough to make me burst into laughter.

"What are you laughing about Harry?"

"Nothing," I say to her, flipping over the pancake. 

I haven't felt this complete, in a long, long time. The last time I felt this way was probably when Elaine came home with me.  I missed her so much, I could barely keep myself away from her.

"Do you know what day it is today, little one?"

"Yeah," she grins.  "It's Christmas Eve."

I find it strange that she's not more excited about the holidays.  Usually, children liked this sort of thing right?

"It's Christmas Eve!" I shout, trying to hype her up but all I get is a smile.  "Only one more day left til Christmas. Do you not like Christmas?"

"No, I love Christmas .. But this year, I wanted something that no one could give me.  Not even my mommy can get it for me."

"What did you want?  Maybe I can help you," I offer. Suddenly knowing I can get her almost anything she asks for makes me feel quite proud of myself.  Finally I can spoil someone without having any reason to. 

"It's a secret," she giggles.

"I won't tell anyone, I promise," I try to convince her but who knew convincing a five year old was so hard.

"I don't know," she says with hesitance.

"If you tell me, maybe I can get it for you."

"You can't. No one can."

Charlotte looks completely disheartened, and I, for one, will not stand seeing her being this way.