54.

Songs for chapter:

The One - Kodaline

Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran

Superhuman - Juventa

Harry's POV

The air whips past us as we fly across town. I feel Elaine's arms tightening around my waist as I pick up speed. Even through the loud rumbling of the engine, I can still pick out the small squeal of excitement she lets out from behind me.

The sensation of being liberated from responsibilities rushes over me. It's completely exhilarating. For once, I feel like I don't have to worry about anything -- my dad, my career. My constant doubts and worries about life seem to vanish along with the wind.

Elaine's grip suddenly loosens on my waist, and for the slightest moment, I panic. She's letting me go, and I fear she can't hold on any longer. But when I look down, I see that one of her arms is still around me, her chipped black nail-polished fingers tightly grasping onto the fabric of my white shirt.

She lets her free arm drift smoothly and carelessly by her side. Her fingers wiggle in a slow wave-like motion through the air, almost as if she is caressing the wind that passes us. The grin on my face widens, satisfied that she's allowing herself to feel and enjoy this.

Once reach our destination, I'm completely struck with a ball of nerves. I hope she likes this place as much as I do. It's not much to look at, but it's quiet. It's a completely barren field with lush, green hills rolling in the background. 

"Where are we?" She asks, her blue eyes practically glowing with thrill as she examines the area around us.

"My father used to take me here," I tell her, scouting  the never-ending, empty field. 

"Really?"

"Do you like it?"

Elaine stays silent, probably unsure of what to say. I mean, it's literally an empty vast grassland of nothing.

"It's marvelous," she says, and I'm filled with relief.

"When I was maybe four or five, my parents argued a lot," I say hesitantly. "And when he and my mum fought, he'd leave the house and I cried so much one time, begging him to let me go with him. And he took me here.  Told me he would come here, park on the side of the street just like this, and just think, to clear his head."

"I can see why," she replies gently. "It's so peaceful and secluded. Do you come here often?"

"When I come back home, I try to come here at least once. To get away from reality for a bit."

"Thank you," Elaine says almost in a whisper, resting her chin on my shoulder.

"For what?"

"For showing me this. For showing me this side of you. I hope I can accompany you here. I don't like imagining you alone."

"Now that I have you, I won't be."

"Good, because you can't get rid of me," she snickers obnoxiously and I can't help but laugh with her.

...

Holding the bike steady, I wait until Elaine dismounts first. Her actions are surprisingly coordinated as she lifts one leg off than the other. She's a natural at this. While I get off, she takes her helmet off and places it on the seat.

Taking off my sunglasses, for the first time since the ride, I survey her expression. Her hair an unholy mess and her cheeks are flushed with a certain radiance I haven't seen in a while. She looks like an absolutely crazy cat lady yet somehow I still manage to find her attractive. Though it's not possible when she looks so cluttered. I don't even comprehend it myself.