Quite Lovely

Alastor grinned, almost as though I had said a joke. But I was wholely serious. As a rule, women in my position never joked about money. 

"Overlords like Valentino and myself usually never mess with investments the other has taken up," He explained casually, "It's far too costly for both sides to wage petty warfare. So by stating your teahouse as my investment, I guarantee your safety and preserve the serenity of the teahouse."

I nodded, giving him an impertinent grin, "So, what will you be investing in?"

Alastor caught on to my joke, laughing as he draped an arm over my shoulder, "My dear, whatever you desire."

Snuggling into his warm embrace, I kissed his cheek as I replied, "Thank you. Maybe we could host another garden party, though without a murder dinner this time." 

"I'd like that," Alastor said, looking towards the entrance of the teahouse as the town car pulled to a stop. I followed his gaze, trying to see it the way he did. The quaint, almost hidden entrance. The gardens flanking both sides of the walkway. The maid waiting at the entrance to greet guests and take their shoes. A few geisha stood by, talking to one another. 

"It's quite lovely, isn't it?" I said, taking it all in.

"Indeed it is," Alator's reply was soft. When I turned to look back at him, I found that instead of looking at the teahouse, he was looking at me.