A Conversation Over Tea

Alastor sleeping in a spare room was all the maids could talk about the next morning. I had to keep reminding them their chores needed to be done before the patrons and geisha began arriving later that evening. Sighing, I ushered a small maid I had just been scolding out of the kitchen so I could drink my tea in peace.

"You run a very efficient household." Alastor's voice startled me. I turned to see him standing in the doorway of the kitchen, grinning that Cheshire grin of his. 

I held up my cup of tea by way of greeting, "Good morning Alastor-san. Would you like some tea?"

Alastor nodded, coming further into the room, "I would. My head feels like it's filled with a ton of bricks." 

"That tends to happen when you drink as much sake as you did." I chuckled, pouring him a cup of tea. The steam rose from the cup as I handed it to him. Alastor took it gratefully and sipped the warm drink.

We sat in silence for a long moment before Alastor said, "I'd like you to come out with me today."

I raised an eyebrow, prompting him to continue, "A rival overlord is opening a club and has offered a truce of sorts. I would like you to come along as my associate."

"I don't see what help I will be," I replied.

Alastor's grin stretched even wider, "My dear, word of our infamous dinner has made it to where I don't even have to ask for sinners to repay me. They just do it out of fear they might be next."

I shot him a dirty look, this is not what the reputation I wanted my teahouse to have, "That was a one time deal."

Leaning back in his seat, Alastor said, "Of course, but think of how beneficial that has been for the both of us. You patrons behave themselves and my reputation is intact. You can't say this didn't work out."

He did have a point. 

"Fine," I sighed, rising from my seat, "Give me a little while to get ready."