Tread Carefully

It was a good thing I had decided to host the infamous Radio Demon in the garden, otherwise, the energy radiating off of him might have driven my other patrons away.

"Alastor-sama," I said, forcing myself to be pleasant as I poured him a cup of sake, "I had this sake brought in tonight especially for you. I hope you will find it to your liking."

Alastor accepted the sake without a word. He seemed agitated and preoccupied with something. I knew based on his reputation that every word that came out of my mouth had to be considered carefully. This was not a man I could idly insult without consequence. 

"The cherry blossoms will be in bloom next week," I said, opting for a neutral conversation topic, "You must come see them. There is nothing else in all of Hell like it."

Alastor had been about to take a drink of his sake, but as I said Hell, he stopped and set the cup back down with an agitated click. I froze, unsure of what exactly I said wrong.

"Do you ever get out of your teahouse?" He asked, a slight edge to his voice despite the fact that he was smiling, "Or do you just hide here in your time capsule?"

"I do get out," I replied carefully, "My time capsule, as you so put it, is kept as a peaceful retreat for my patrons to come relax."

Alastor watched me as though he was trying to figure out if I was lying. After a moment he replied, "And do you have any idea about the turf wars that have gone on after the last extermination?"

I nodded, "Of course, Alastor-sama. I'd have to live under a rock not to know." 

I attempted to give him a smile to show that I had been teasing him, but he seemed unamused. His red gaze stared me down, dark and foreboding. I could feel my heart hammering in my chest as I watched him. 

"I'd like your advice then," Alastor said, his voice monotone, sending a shiver up my spine. I gave him a compliant smile, feeling as though I had just walked into a trap.