Chapter 46: Kintsugi

Depuis le début

The sun was turning round and bright, leaving an orange glow on the waters. It was a beautiful evening, with a beautiful girl, who was in love with him. And he was crazy about her, willing to spend the rest of his life with her. What more could he ask?

He gazed at her again. She was right. He was ready too. He had always been ready.

"Give me your hand, Yue." He removed her promise ring and went down on one knee. He knew his eyes were watery. He had not planned for this. But it felt so right. With her, right now, at this point. Here. In the present.

He had planned to propose to her in Tokyo Disneyland next April. But when she looked into his eyes, he knew he could not wait that long.

"Shen Yue, will you marry me? My heart only belongs to you. If you don't take me, I will die an old man alone," he grinned.

Her tears started falling but she was laughing with joy. "YES! YES! YES! I will be your wife, Wang He Di!"

He slipped the ring on her fourth finger of left hand and kissed it. She snaked her arms around his waist and kissed his chest. "Thank you."

Shen Yue, don't cry.

"It's your turn, Yue." He said extending his hand. She eyed him, "How do I do this? You already made the proposal! Shouldn't we exchange vows or something?"

"We need witnesses. Who can be our witnesses?"

"God is our witness." She said softly.

He lifted her chin. "Yes, He is watching us approvingly. But we need physical eye witnesses."

He should have arranged this better. But Yue looked so happy, and he decided to throw away his concerns.

She smiled suddenly. "I have an idea. We can have video call."

"I'll call Okaasan. And Marco." He said promptly. "What about you?"

"Nai Nai of course but she doesn't know how to do a video call. Can I call Hsu-jie? Or Mama? Didi, who will give me away? Oh, why suddenly it feels so complicated? Will your mom approve of me?"

"Yue, stop. Are you backing off? Do you still want me as your husband?"

Her eyes widened as she stared at Didi. The thought of not marrying him terrified her and she quickly nodded. "I will call Hsu-jie."

It was quite a sight by the lake. Their phones were set up on tripods as they face each other, chilly wind in their face but neither felt cold as they held hands, looking at each other lovingly.

"Marco, can you see us? What about you, Hsu-jie? Okaasan?" Didi asked, peering sideways at their phones. Three very excited faces were staring back.

Dee Hsu looked like she wanted to jump out of the screen. "Yue!! This is so cute! I have never witness a matrimony via video call."

Yue laughed. "Me neither. But we are desperate." I want to be his wife now. "Sorry for the hasty arrangement."

"Anytime!"

"Are you ready?" Marco asked. "You will exchange vows and I will recite the final statement to marry you."

They nodded. Didi shifted his feet and squeezed Yue's hands.

"Are you nervous? Do you want to do this?" Yue asked him softly, watching his face as the lines in between his eyes appeared.