Chapter 28: Odoroki

The autumn air greeted Yue as she stepped out of Kyoto central station

The autumn air greeted Yue as she stepped out of Kyoto central station. The familiar smell and surrounding immediately made her felt at ease, her shoulders dropping and lips curling upwards. If it were not for Nai Nai, she would have stayed here permanently.

The station was bustling with people as usual, in the late afternoon, right after lunch hours. And yet, admist the busyness, there was something charmingly calm about this city.

Yue packed light, knowing that she would go shopping locally at her favorite stores. Japanese fashion was really her taste after all. Didi had often pointed out that she looked more like a Japanese girl than he did.

Thinking about him made her heart fluttered. In a matter of minutes, she would meet him.

She glanced at her watch. Sensei Kaito insisted to pick her up personally, even though she refused him, knowing how busy it could get at the restaurant. He even offered her a place to stay at his staff quarters, just behind his restaurant. It was hard to refuse his kind gesture. Sensei Kaito was like her godfather.

Her hand touched the sakura clip on her hair. She wanted him to see that she had put on what he had given her. The white overcoat, the red scarf, and sakura clip.

After their argument, she mopped around for days, not knowing how to make amends or what to do next. He texted her to apologize and even tried calling, but there was so much she wanted to tell him that she did not know where to begin.

And when she tried calling back, upon hearing his voice, she started shedding tears and she hung up. So, finally, she remained passive.

When his gifts started pouring in, she felt even worse that she overreacted earlier. First, he sent her yellow flowers, then a Louis Vuitton blue and red checked sweater and finally, a pair of sneakers. She simply sent back a message that said "thank you." She did not trust herself to speak, afraid she would get emotional again. Or say the wrong words.

She was glad that work had swarmed her and kept her occupied from drowning herself in her thoughts.

I will fix things when I get to Kyoto. Please wait for me, Didi.

"Konnichiwa, Tsuki-san!" Someone called her.

She looked up and smiled. "Konnichiwa, Sensei! You look good!" They bowed at each other and he turned to look at her. "Arigato. Welcome back. You look like you need a good Japanese meal. What brings you here?"

She smiled wanly. "I came to see a friend. A very good friend."

Sensei eyed her but did not say a word. "Your friend is my friend too. Let's get into the car."

He hauled her luggage into the trunk of the car and took the driver's seat. "Do you want to go shopping first or back to Yuri? Don't be shy to tell me your itinerary."