Chapter 46: Kintsugi

They spent the next two days at the semi-furnished lake house, and a quiet birthday together, with Yue surprising him with breakfast in bed

After that, they took a stroll along the serene waters to wait for the sunset. Yue suddenly started running, beckoning him with her teasing eyes to chase her, knowing his long legs would put him at advantage easily.

"Since I caught you, you are mine, little girl," he grinned when he pulled her in for a hug.

Yue squeezed his waist and smiled. "What a good catch."

He looked deep into her eyes and leaned down to kiss her gently, "This is the best birthday present ever. Yue, I am 25 finally."

She giggled. "And in two months' time, I will be 27."

"You know it's hard to catch up with you when you grow up so fast. And why didn't you tell me your birthday was a few days after our first date?"

She shrugged. "I don't like to celebrate my birthday."

He raised his eyebrow. "Did something happened?"

"My parents passed away right before my 11th birthday. Since then, it reminds me of them. So I stopped celebrating. Nai Nai cooks me noodles and red eggs every year but that was it. Zi Wei and Jia Qi celebrated with me last year but I think they gave up too." She chuckled softly.

Didi held her shoulders for a moment before cupping her face. "We will start celebrating your birthday, starting from your 27th birthday. Without your birth, there won't be us."

She hugged him tight. "I will celebrate with you every year till we grow old and senile."

"Shall we retire in Leshan? I miss my childhood memories there."

"I have never been there."

"You will love it. We can build our family in Leshan."

Our family.

She smiled and snuggled close to his chest. "I will make you my husband first. Can I ask you for your hand now?"

He snickered. "Not very sincere. Where is the ring, Yue?"

She gazed up at him and held her palm out. "Give me your fourth finger."

"What are you doing? I was just joking, Yue." He responded, gently hitting her palm.

"Didi... can we—" she paused, "not wait?" Her eyes were brimming with tears suddenly. "I am ready now."

He paused and looked at her, drawing a deep breath. "Yue, I don't know." The reflection of the lake water caught his eye and he turned his head.