Chapter 27: Furaito

Some 2 years ago, autumn In Gion

In Gion

He had been intrigued with geishas his whole life so when one of his father's old friend invited him for a gathering, he eagerly said yes. To him, geishas are symbol of female perfection. Imagine six years of hard work, perfecting art, music and performance, away from their family. He had utmost respect for them, and aware that in the past, they were misrepresented for sex symbols.

The dinner started and there were three geishas in the room. He guessed that the third geisha was a maiko as she sat and watched her sisters played the instrument and danced, while she occasionally poured sake around the table.

Her big round eyes and cherry red lips and dark eyebrows kept him mesmerized, as he stole glances towards her the whole night, while half-watching the older geishas sung and played the shamisen.

He finally turned to his father's friend, Kenji-san, "Sumimasen, are we allowed to speak to the geishas?" he asked, unsure about the etiquette. The older man smiled. "Of course! They are hosts. Which one of them attracted your attention?"

The young man blushed and his gaze turned to the lady sitting at the corner. "Ah-so-desu-ne. She is a maiko, an apprentice. Most of the time she is allowed to just observe and not speak to the guests. But I'm sure you can chat a word or two with her."

Before he could stop the older man, he was bidding her to come to their side to refill their sake cups. "My dear daughter, my young friend here would like to speak to you. Anata no namae-wa nan desu-ka." (What is your name?)

The maiko pushed her body up a little and shifted her bender knees, until she reached behind the two gentlemen. Bending low, she spoke in almost a whisper, "Kaguya."

"Kaguya? Are you the mysterious girl from the moon?" The old man laughed. "My friend here, Tsuru-san, would like your company." She bowed a little and poured sake into his cup.

"Are you from Kyoto, Kaguya-san?" He asked nervously. It was hard to read her expression through her white painted face.

She skimmed her eyes to look at him and gave a small smile. "Chi-gai-masu. I can't tell you where I come from."

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh? Is that a secret a maiko must keep?" His eyes could not pull away from her. Something about her eyes, her face pulled him in. How would it feel to kiss her? Alarmed by his thoughts, he quickly turned away.

"Sumimasen. I didn't mean to pry. Thank you for serving us today, Kaguya-san." He bowed a little which she returned another bow. "Would you like more sake, Tsuru-san?"

"Yes please," he said softly as he watched her delicate small hand pour the liquid into the tiny cup. They sat next to each other throughout the night listening to the shamisen played, without exchanging another word. But her presence next to him was assuring.