Chapter 29: Mitsuketa

🍋Mild mature content, long chapter

He had been driving and walking for hours

He had been driving and walking for hours. Apparently she had told no one at all where she was going to reside. It was really a surprise and secret trip.

Kyoto was huge. He had tried almost every neighbourhood, trying to recall conversations with her on where she used to hang out but his attempts were futile. He was exhausted and hungry. Gion was his last stop. He must find her.

The streets of Gion were quiet by nightfall. Most people were dining or drinking at the pubs. He stepped into his regular diner and took off his jacket.

"Sumimasen! Konbanwa!" He greeted as the other diners nodded.

Yuri was a privately owned restaurant with only six tables and a long table attached to the chef's cooking area. Most diners who came here knew the chef or were recommended by friends of the chef.

The first time he came was during his birthday, three years ago. That was also the first time he had the best tamagoyaki in his entire life.

He took a seat and waved at the chef. "Master, may I have beer? And my usual?"

The chef smiled and nodded, the sides of his eyes crinkled up. "We have a special chef today. You should try her cooking."

Didi cocked his head and raised his eyebrow. "Oh, really? Sure, okamase. But master, it's your tamagoyaki that I missed. Why don't you cook that way again?"

His eyes twinkled. "Well, maybe tonight is your lucky night. Chotto matte kudasai." as he disappeared into the kitchen.

Didi removed his jacket and placed it next to him. Old Japanese music was played, almost too softly. The ambience was melancholic and Didi missed Yue even more. Damn woman. How did she run so fast in those short legs? She must be so confused seeing another woman in his arms.

He rubbed his neck and massaged his temples. Where else could she be? He took out his tablet box and placed it on the table. The last fatigue episode worried him and he knew he needed to arrange his surgery as soon as possible. So many things to be taken care of, but so little time.

He was tired of living his life according to medical timeline. But no matter how much he wanted to design his life, he knew that the Maker had the final say.

As he was deep in thoughts, Sensei reappeared with a plate in his hand and Asahi beer.

"Try this."

Didi looked at the familiar piece of tamagoyaki in front of him. "It smells like it but does it taste like it? Itadakimasu."

He picked up his chopsticks and took a bite. The sweetness of caramel in this fluffy yellow egg hit his sensory system right away and he hollered. "Oishii! Master, this is it! Did your new chef make it? I must meet her!"