Chapter 5: Yūshoku

By half past ten, most people had left the club. There were a few tables occupied by couples mostly. Even Wang He Di was nowhere to be seen. She supposed he had left without saying goodbye. Why did that bother her?

Yue decided it was time to head home. Bidding farewell to her bandmates and Dee Hsu, she grabbed her helmet and keys and headed out to the exit. She had earlier changed to an oversized black sweatshirt and shorts, with long socks to keep her warm when she rode.

Right out there next to the sidewalk was Wang He Di

Right out there next to the sidewalk was Wang He Di. His hands were in his pockets and he looked like he was waiting for someone, as he shifted his feet back and forth.

"I thought you'd left," she called out.

He turned and smiled. "No, I came out for some fresh air. The smoke was getting to me. And, I was waiting for you."

His eyes, roamed, looking at her from head to toe, while checking her expression. He liked her casual outfit too much. Those legs.

"Oh..." she paused, before remembering something she had in mind. "Hey, I just want to say thank you for tonight. I owe you one."

"You sure do." He took a few strides towards her. Yue took a deep breath. He caught her hand and shoved a box into her palm.

"Here, this is for you. Happy Valentine's Day."

Yue looked at the tiny box curiously. Thank God, it was neither square or long rectangle. It was a flat black box, almost the size of a bookmark. It was not even wrapped. Not that she minded it at all.

"Open it up. I can change it if you don't like it." he offered, waiting anxiously.

Yue placed her helmet on the ground and flipped the box opened. Inside, was the most exquisite-looking hair clip of a single pink and red tinged white Sakura flower. She beamed. "How did you know l love Sakura?

 "How did you know l love Sakura?

"I didn't. My guess is you like anything Japanese." I bet you like sakura ice-cream too.

"This is beautiful, Didi. Thank you." She looked up at him, feeling grateful. She had not expected a gift from this boy whom she just met yesterday.