Chapter 26: Ashita

"I'm sorry, Yue, but you can't be taking a break now since your work schedule is lined up till end of September," explained Dudu, as she placed the teacup to her cherry red lips

"I'm sorry, Yue, but you can't be taking a break now since your work schedule is lined up till end of September," explained Dudu, as she placed the teacup to her cherry red lips. Yue had taken the afternoon off to see her at home, and was feeling anxious the whole time.

Yue pursed her lips. "Okay, jie, will it be possible that I take the whole of October off?" she asked, thinking that she could wait another two more weeks. "There are a few important things that I really have to take care of. Please. I promise I will work extra hard."

"Are you going to look for Didi?" she asked as she eyed Yue and scanned her face. "I don't normally interfere with your personal matters but it seems to be getting out of hand."

Yue raised her eyebrow, questioningly. She realized recently Dudu had been putting on heavy make-up, always with smoky eyes and bright red lipstick. She had seldom smiled too. She wondered if Xiong and her had an argument.

"What do you mean, jie?"

Dudu motioned to Xiong who was standing nearby. He placed her mobile phone on the table, just beneath her eyes.  Yue squinted her eyes and gasped.

"Someone took this photo and posted on Weibo. I'm confused. Are you with the doctor or Wang He Di?"

Yue stared at her own tear-stricken face leaning on Kuan's shoulder. It was a long shot, obviously taken by a fan or hater, who was watching them from a distance. She cursed herself for not wearing a mask that day. Thank God, Kuan's face was hidden.

"'Who is Shen Yue's mystery guy? Why is she upset? Did she get dumped?' were the few captions they put." She sighed and sat up.

"Yue, the reason I did not put a non-dating clause in your contract because I thought you are mature enough to separate your private life from publicity. But I was careless. Now, you just started your career, you do not want the press to hound you over private affairs but this—" she said pointing to the photo again, "is something that they would squeeze any juice out from it. And they won't stop till they get something back. So, Yue, I suggest you stay low-key with your boyfriend for awhile."

"He is not my boyfriend. Kuan is just a friend," she said biting her lip. "Will this affect the album sales?"

Dudu shook her head. "Bad publicity is still publicity. People are more intrigued with you now. They will look into your private life. What did you plan to do with your break? Remember, you are a professional singer, not a club singer."

"I need to go away from Suzhou. To Japan, maybe. To clear my mind."

"Is this because of Wang He Di? Honestly, I don't agree that you get into any relationships at this point of time. It will complicate your life."

Not living my life true to my heart will complicate my life.

"I know what I'm doing, jie. Please trust me. May I have your permission to take a break, please?"