Chapter 20: Shūmatsu

The wait was finally over

The wait was finally over. As their friends started to leave the party, Didi saw Yue making her way upstairs to get her belongings. He followed her quietly to the guest room and stood at the doorway.

"Tsuki."

She startled. "Didi! You scared me. I was just getting my things to leave," picking up her bag and soiled shirt.

He smiled. "Sorry I didn't mean it. I just wanted to talk to you." She flashed him the smile that always blew him away. "Good. Me too. Shall we talk downstairs in the garden?"

"Fresh air sounds good. Hey, pass me the shirt, I will have it cleaned for you."

"I can do it myself."

"Must you always be this stubborn?" he sighed. She laughed. "Only with you."

On their way down, the last of the group to leave were Xi Ze and Jia Qi. Jia looked at Yue, excited. "Yue! Have Didi asked you already?"

Didi shot her a look that made Jia understood to keep her mouth shut. "I will let Didi tell you. Great party today. Let's do it again!"

"Why don't you guys sleep over the next time? We have ample guest rooms." He suggested casually, his eyes flickering over to Yue.

"Sleepover party! I love the idea! Xi Ze?"

"Baobei, I work shifts all the time. You can do it with Yue."

Jia Qi grabbed his arm and swung it side-to-side. "Promise me that we will stay awake the whole night next weekend during our trip."

"What trip?" Yue asked. The corner of Jia's lips lifted up. "Ask Wang He Di. Good night guys! Love you! Love the matchy matchy oufits! Xi Ze, when can we match our outfits?"

Xi Ze groaned and looked apologetical. "Sorry, she is drunk."

"I AM NOT!" cried Jia Qi.

Didi laughed and did a signature brother handshake with him. "Take care of your wifey, bro," leaning near to him, he whispered "Thanks for the favor. I owe you one."

Turning to Yue, he stretched out his hand and interlaced his fingers with hers. "Let's walk." She looked surprised when he held her hand.

At first he thought she would pull away, but she bit her lower lip and tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. Yue is nervous. He smiled.

The garden was dimly lit with Chinese small red lanterns and the air was crisp. Didi saw her pulling her kimono robe together. He stopped and removed his pullover and draped it over her. "Don't fall sick. Or you will ruin our weekend."

He took her hand again and led her to the fish pond, where they stood overlooking it. It was full moon again.

"What is the secret? Jia said you have something to tell me."