Chapter 30: Sutōrī

🌸 long chapter

Kyoto, 2 Winters ago Yuri Restaurant

Yuri Restaurant

The best way to learn Japanese cuisine is to work with a Japanese chef. She took the challenge boldly while most of the people on the program chose theater or Hana arrangements. She loved food so that was her first choice.

Her schedule was packed. She would need to work at Manga Museum in the morning, and work at the restaurant at night. For the past few months, it had been tiring but exciting. She stayed in the kitchen as an assistant chef and occasionally helped out as a waitress.

That night, a special menu was required for a private function. The whole restaurant was closed for these guests. She worked hard in the kitchen, prepping the ingredients for their famous yudofu, octopus salad and omu-rice.

"Tsuki-san, please help me to serve our main course to the guests. We are short handed. Hitori is doing the deserts," asked Sensei Kaito.

"Hai, sensei."

She forgot she was still wearing her face mask when she served the guests when she felt there were smiles and whispers around the table.

"Sensei! We didn't know you have a new student. She is so shy."

Sensei smiled. "Tsuki is here for a year half on a program but she is a fast learner. She makes the best sweet omelette here now."

Everyone at the table gushed. "Can we have some now? In fact, it is Haruto's favourite. He is the reason for today's celebration. He turns 22 and his first single hit No.1 in the radio charts."

He nodded and signaled to her. She bowed and started back to the kitchen, as she heard the other guy saying "I still can't believe that he is a newbie in song-writing. He is way beyond his time."

She might have turned too fast when she bumped into the chest of a gentleman. "Sumimasen! I didn't see you. You are really tiny." the stranger exclaimed.

She looked up and stared into his eyes. Is it coincidence that they meet again?

He frowned. "Have we met before? Your eyes seemed so familiar."

She quickly shook her head. "Sumimasen. I need to get back to my work." Why did she say no? Didn't she want to talk to him again?

That night, she stole a glance at him as he took a bite of her tamagoyaki. His face lit up. His smile went his eyes and created sparks in her heart. She closed her eyes to record this moment. Soon it would become a memory, like how it would always be.

That whole winter, was the best winter she had, watching Haruto coming to Yuri almost every night to eat the tamagoyaki she made. He also liked her sautéed Chinese yam and oven-baked edamame, taken with light sake or Asahi.