Chapter 9: Shashin

Wednesday came by quickly. Yue woke up feeling fresh. She bounced down the stairs to the kitchen for breakfast. "Morning, Nai Nai!"

An elderly lady with grey hair, dressed in Chinese samfoo looked up from her newspaper and coffee. "Xiao Yue. Are you going someplace today?"

She nodded excitedly. "I have a studio recording in the morning. Then, a friend is bringing me to the Kun Opera in the evening. But I will be back to change first."

Nai Nai raised her eyebrow. "Oh? Is it the boy who sent you home a few nights ago?"

Yue almost burnt her lips with her coffee. "Nai Nai, were you spying on me?"

She cackled with laughter. "I woke up suddenly for the toilet and saw the lights outside of our house. I couldn't resist peeping out."

"He's a friend of Kang, Kuan and Xi Ze. Remember the boys who came here to play Leagues last month?"

"Yes, all the tall men. You need to marry a tall man so your kids won't need to get your height."

"Nai Nai! I'm not that short. I'm like mom."

"That is my point. Eat your breakfast, and stop arguing with me."

Nai Nai might be in her late 60s but she was sharp and vigilant. Yue checked her watch. She had just enough time to get dressed and ride to the studio. Dudu had wanted her come in and meet her partner for the her first single album.

Her phone buzzed.

"Morning, Shen Yue!" A chirpy voice sounded.

"Wang He Di. Why so early?"

"Look outside."

She peered out of the window. Mr Shuai waved at her. "What are you doing here?" She said over the phone, one hand went to reach for the keys to the door. Pulling the heavy front door open single-handedly, she asked "Aren't we meeting tonight?"

She stood in front of him, her phone still in her hand, next to her ear, when he flashed his boyish grin. "I came to bring you for your first studio recording."

Yue looked at him, eyes wide. "You don't need to, Didi."

"I want to. I will wait here while you get ready. Go!"

Her feet were frozen as she stood there staring at him. She suddenly realized she was still in her Donald Duck pyjamas, with messy hair, bare face and morning breath while he looked fresh and sporty in his oversized Nike Air shirt and baggy Supreme pants.

"Silly, why are you still holding the phone?" He chuckled.

Yue quickly removed her hand from her ear. Her face was red. "Wang He Di, go home. I see you tonight."

The crease between his eyes appeared again. He took two big steps towards her. His hands were in his pockets. He leaned forward and gazed into her eyes "When I had my first recording, a very good friend accompanied me. And that was what I want to do for you. I want you to remember today as special."

Why does he always have a way with his words? Can she still say no?

"Besides, Dudu might be keen to hire a rap songwriter for you. Good for me to build bridges." he grinned, going about his usual air. There was no restraint on his over-confidence.

Yue sighed. "All right. You win. Wait here. I might be a bit slow to change."

"Wear something bright!"