The Arkenstone... Is Gone?

The dwarves searched through mounds of gold for the Arkenstone, turning up no avail. They'd been going at this for hours, and found nothing. Y/n lay on one of the paths with her hair dangling over the edge. Moon was beside her, sleeping. Thorin had eventually given up, going to the throne room as the other dwarves did whatever. Kili went over to the fiery haired girl, and Moon instantly buzzed up and went over to him, flying around his head, earning a laugh from Kili.

"Hello, Amrâlimê," Kili smiled, taking a piece of her hair and twirling it around his finger.

"Hi, Kee," Y/n replied.

"You tired?" Kili asked. Y/n nodded slowly and turned over onto her stomach. Kili placed his hand on the side of her face, and she leaned into his touch.

"I'm glad you're here. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't..."

"Well, if you didn't seal my wound, I probably wouldn't be here. So thank you," Kili replied. "You should get some sleep."

"Yeah, I probably should, but I just can't..." Y/n sighed.

"Why not?"

Y/n looked into Kili's eyes. "I have the feeling that something bad is going to happen... I don't know what, but I feel like something will."

Kili brushed her cheek with his thumb. "Trust me, Y/n. As long as I'm here, nothing will happen to you or the others, okay?"

"Okay," Y/n nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course." Kili kissed her forehead, causing her to grin. Bilbo cleared his throat, causing Y/n to jump in surprise and fall off the ledge onto a gold pile. Moon landed on her head and let out a teasing buzz. Kili laughed, and Y/n stuck her tongue out at the dark haired archer.

"I am so sorry, Y/n!" Bilbo apologized.

"It's fine! Do you need anything?" Y/n asked, standing up.

"Yeah," Bilbo paused. "Can I talk to you?" Y/n hopped up onto the ledge and followed the hobbit into a quiet, dark hallway.

"What's up?"

"I have the Arkenstone. I took it as my share. I don't know why I did it, but I just needed to tell someone. You're the only one I can trust right now, Y/n." Bilbo looked down to his feet, almost in shame, but looked back up as Y/n placed a hand on his shoulder. When Thorin came around the corner, Y/n nodded towards him and left.

*TIME SKIP*

The dwarves had moved stones and rocks to block the entrance, almost as a barricade. Y/n knew Thorin was being affected by the gold, and she had been told by Balin that it was Dragon Sickness, and Y/n knew that could be a bad thing, but she kept it to herself...

As Thorin demanded more stone to fortify the entrance, Y/n and Bilbo shared a worried look. After Thorin decided the barrier was good, he beckoned the dwarves to climb up top. They watched as Bard and Thranduil stopped right before the gate, looking up to the dwarf king.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain. We are glad to find you alive beyond hope!" Bard called.

"Why do you come to gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin replied.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?" Y/n covered her mouth to stop herself from laughing, and Bard smirked.

"Perhaps it is because I’m expecting to be robbed."

Bard sighed. "My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Thorin stepped down the makeshift staircase and met with Bard privately through a hole in between the rocks. As they conversed, Y/n gazed out over the horizon. The unsettling feeling of war filled her chest. Something bad was coming, and Y/n would do everything in her power to protect the dwarves, even if Thorin was being a dollophead...