Davy Jones' Game

I don't own One Piece. If I did, I wouldn't let the anime butcher this arc.

------------------------------------------

"Here we go," Chopper grinned, dabbing antiseptic on the octopus' burn marks, "Just hold still for a minute please."

You stretched, "Have to say, I was enjoying all that flying. It was a nice break from all the usual craziness."

Zoro chuckled, "You're one to talk about craziness."

"...I'll concede that one."

"Well the Flame Dial ran out, so we couldn't exactly do anything about it," Usopp shrugged, "We should just be lucky it held out long enough for us to get the hull patched up."

Luffy snatched up the octopus eagerly, rubbing it's slimy 'skin' against his face, "This is the second time you've helped us! You're really cool aren't you!" He opened the band of his trousers, "Maybe we should keep you with us!"

The octopus paled, doing its best to wiggle as far away as possible.

"No!" Nami wacked Luffy's head, "He's done enough, poor creature. He even got burned thanks to you. We should just let him go."

He pouted, but chucked the petrified creature over the side anyways, "Fine..." Flipping onto the railing, he grinned down at the waving tentacle rising above the surface of the sea, "Thank you!"

"Take care!" Chopper frantically waved back, "Go make some nice friends of your own in the Blue Sea!"

The octopus couldn't wait to leave, dipping under the surface as soon as the simplest goodbyes were said.

"He probably didn't like how Sanji was looking at him."

You snorted, 'I did see him looking up how to make a good braised octopus.'

"I'm honestly shocked that he doesn't know how to make it already."

"Okay! Guys, unfurl the sail! We're off to the next island!"

"Oi, j-just hold on, Luffy!" Usopp grimaced, "Chopper and I've been repairing the Merry all day Can't we rest for a bit?"

Nami wagged her finger, "No, silly. If you could get away with that on this sea anyone would be able to sail here!"

"Yeah...but..."

"The waves have been moving in a strange pattern." Marching up to the top deck, she clapped her hands, "Everyone, on your toes! Steer us to port!"

"Aye, Nami-swan~!"

"Let's go (y/n)!" Luffy giggled, wrapping an arm around your waist. As the default 'stretch-ers', it was normally your job to do the rigging and the sails. Well...Luffy made it your job. You didn't really have any say in the matter. Sometimes you wondered whether he just liked throwing you about.

However when you were at the top, a horrible niggling feeling drilled into the back of your throat. Turning to see what it was, you let out a deep sigh. "Guys...we have a Sea Monkey tidal wave at 5 o'clock."

"See," Nami grinned while Usopp and Chopper screamed for the heavens, "just like I said. Thanks a bunch, (y/n)."

"No problemo."

"DON'T MIND THAT JUST FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

Letting the ropes for the sails fall through your fingers, you groaned and braced yourself for the long run. Why couldn't you just fly the rest of the way? Made life so much easier.