The Tell

Everybody has a tell. It screams bloody out their eyes whenever they most want to hide it. All the meat and grease and gristle of flesh falls away to expose a flicker of the soul. Some try to cover it up - a palm up your lips and spectacles over your ocean blue orbs. In the olden days, cattlemen would let their faces bay in the sun so their skin turned a leather so hard it wouldn't even allow them to crack a smile. All to hide it. The very best, at gambling and lying and cheating and all in all being the worst, they will show people theirs since the day they met. So the sight of it don't mean a thing to no one no more. Everybody has a tell, so, tell us more. 

|-TASK ONE-|

This task is all about showing character. You've told us all about your resident in your forms, but now it's time to transition that into prose. Redundant? Perhaps. But as you will all be responding to the same tasks, characterization is the best way to make your story stand out. Treat this entry as the introduction scene for your character if this entire competition was one big novel. And yes, I do mean scene. Some of you might already be glancing down at the word limit in horror, so I'll explain it here. This is the challenge of what should otherwise be a straightforward and open task (but don't fear, the limits will be much higher after this). A good scene will push every word to the very peak of its powers and leave the reader with both questions and answers. Good luck!

|-WORD LIMIT-|

500 words.

|-STAKES-|

Nobody will be up for ELIMINATION this round, unless you fail to turn in, in which case, you're a goner. However, 7 of you will be up for votes. Voting will be for the BEST entry and the winner will get 5 points added to their score for next round. Since this task is such a softie, the next round is gonna be a killer, so you want those points. This task is mostly designed so everyone can get acquainted with the new systems in place and get to know the people they will soon be destroying :)

|-DEADLINE-|

 Sunday June 6th 10:00 PM EST

Remember to email your submission to me at crocorocker@gmail.com before the deadline. EVERYONE must submit like this. If you would like additional feedback, you can ALSO share a Google Doc with the same email before the deadline. Good luck!