The Last One Standing

On a town, and the two who have navigated it, the dust settles. 

|-THE LAST ONE TO FALL-|

Although he ended up falling just short, John Doe did nothing but dazzle in this competition. The thought you put into your character captured the imagination of our readers, and it would have won a well-deserved award for being the most original character if Kirby didn't exist. I was most interested in the challenging style with which you chose to write. It, as well as John Doe itself, was an exercise in restraint and I will forever be impressed by how you accomplished so much using so little. The freedom that you bought with the adoption of Barbara was perfectly timed to bring clarity to your twisted tale. Some say that first you must master the rules of writing in order to break them, and it is obvious here, with the stunningly unique description and the subtlely crafted world, that that is the case here. Finishing in second place...

John Doe by TheCatKing

|-THE LAST ONE STANDING-|

From the start, you wrote Linda with such a special charisma that even when she was constantly being terrible it was impossible not to love her. As her story progressed, and we got to see her grow as a character and a mother, that feeling only multiplied. Linda perhaps wasn't the oddest character in the town of Idle, but she wasn't normal. The way you wrote about the most mundane things like family and friendship is what actually made your story stand out. All the insanity of Linda and her friends and her enemies was just a playfully pronounced wink in a story everyone could relate to. You also wrote so generously and put obvious time into characterizing your side characters, from the stubbornly lovable Brooklynn to the array of competitors which you had Linda attack. Overall, your entries were a joy to read and it ended as it was throughout as something so so sweet. Join me in congratulating your winner...

Linda Lowes, by Then_Harry_woke_up  

To everyone who was and wasn't a part of this competition, thank you for rallying around it. It has been so good to see all of you again, and the positivity shown in every direction has been a great reminder of why we made so many memories together in the first place. I really hope we continue to find time to spend together because, at least for me, it has been a huge benefit. Thank you for the time, the trying, the effort, the support, the beauty, the inspiration, the entertainment, and the friendship.