"Do you remember how she shocked him by reading to him from a book? She was not yet five summers."

"I always believed he came just to be with her. He has two sisters and three brothers, so wishing to be with Vivian always surprised me, especially as he grew older. Of course, when he left to go to Downing to study law, he stopped coming." Radley studied his father's face. "I know his father turned ill at that time too."

"Yes. He came down with consumption. His son, Owen, took care of most matters until he too went to school. I have looked in on them from time to time and sent my solicitor to help when they needed it. But not since Bennett graduated."

"We should have the family over. I've only met Bennett. I would enjoy meeting his siblings." He tugged at his cuff and studied the look of anxiety upon his father's face. "What is bothering you, Father?"

"My friendship with Nathan is deeper than you may think. At the time of Vivian's birth and the time of your mother's death, I was unwell."

"I remember. We often played in your bedroom while you stayed abed."

He nodded with the memory of them playing marbles on the floor as he watched. "I was unsure if I would survive, Radley."

Shock came across his face at hearing his father say this. "You never let on that you were so unwell."

"I would not wish to worry you. Because of this, I made arrangements concerning your well being and that of the estate finances. Douglas Franks would have raised you, Michael, as well as Vivian because he and your aunt Beatrice are your godparents. Thankfully, that was all unnecessary.

"However, there is also one other item I took care of. Because of my respect for Nathan, we agreed upon a marriage contract between her and Bennett on the conditions he would be raised to be a kind and honorable man. If at any time he began to construe debts, gamble, or mistreat anyone in the family, such contract would be dissolved."

"No wonder he came to visit her. She was to be his wife!"

"This is the contract we devised between us." He handed the folded paper to him. "I want you to read it."

Radley unfolded it and glanced at the legal document. He sat back in his chair and easily read through it since he had also studied law at Downing. He read through it twice then set it down.

"Father, have you ever mentioned this to Vivian? She is sixteen and a beautiful young woman. She may feel put out upon learning she has no choice in a husband—a man she will spend her entire life with," he said shoving the contract away from him.

"Such is done, Radley. He has been paid the dowry, he is a fine man, who has lived up to every condition, which I had no doubts that Nathan would do. In two years, she will have her coming out. Shortly after, she shall marry Bennett."

"I'm unsure if she will remember him," Radley said with worry.

"I plan to correct this. He has two sisters. Charlotte is nineteen and Ruth is fifteen. They can begin visiting her. I intend to invite them to dinner as soon as possible. I do not wish for Vivian to be told of this beforehand, unless it becomes necessary. I believe they all know the truth about the contract."

"Then I shall become acquainted with him and make sure he is worthy of Vivian. If he is not up to snuff, that contract will be canceled and his father can keep the money. That gives Bennett an opportunity to wed another. I will supply Vivian with a dowry. My inheritance from grandfather will see to her happiness." He shook his head in total disgust. "If Mother were alive, she would have been extremely miffed at this." He turned on his heels to leave when he saw Vivian standing at the door.

"How long have you been there?"

She stared at her brother with eyes wide with shock. "I heard enough to know that Father bought me a husband because he thought he may be dying."

Radley held his composure. "First, he is not dying. He made a contract to give you a husband..."

She interrupted, "I do not wish to have a husband, Radley. I am only sixteen and much too young."

"In years, perhaps," he mumbled. "'Tis nothing for you to concern yourself with. Bennett will inherit the title of a Marquess. He is already the Earl of Kendal. I will make sure he is good enough for you. If not, he will be disqualified."

"You are not marrying him. That should be my decision. I was told I would have a party for my sixteenth birthday, which is long overdue, and I just heard him say that I will be given a season when I turned eighteen and then marry the Earl of Kendal. I agree that he and his family should come for dinner. I wish to see Bennett again. It has been years since he came to play with me. Why is that? I understand he went to school, but he has been back for over a year, has he not?"

"I notice you are asking me instead of Father. Why is that?"

"You will not lie to me." She worried her lip and glanced at Father just long enough to see if he was angry. Instead, he had his elbows on the table with his hands clasped tightly together as if in prayer. His eyes were squeezed shut. "Father kept this arrangement from me, so that constitutes as a lie. I would be punished if I took such an action."

Her father's eyes opened hearing her statement.

Radley glanced at him with disgust. "This proves my point. She may be young but she is also brilliant. What if Bennett is stupid? You have made a huge error with Vivian." He leaned forward and took her hands. "After Mother died, he was distraught and sick. This worried him and he sought to keep you safe and give you a good future..."

"If that is true, was he not worried about your future and Michael's? What were his plans concerning you two? I assume he would have sent us to live with Uncle Douglas and Aunt Beatrice until you were old enough to assume running the estates?"

Reginald stood. Disgust filled his countenance. "I did not buy you a husband, Vivian. I made sure you would have a kind, intelligent man, with a title, to marry you. He has done well with finances over the past few years. To assure me of that, he has sent me statements."

"This may be so, though I will hold my own opinion. I remember him well enough to know he was always kind to me as well as took enjoyment of our time together. With this news, 'tis past time to renew our acquaintance. Shall I send a message requesting he pay me a visit?"

"I will investigate him first, Vivian. Then, if all is up to my expectations, I will invite them to dinner. Will that meet with your approval?" Radley asked.

She gave him a regal nod before leaving the room with elegance and a swirl of her skirt.

"I should have known she would take this news without much to do. Most girls of her age would have a fit. How much do you think she remembers of Bennett?"

"The last time she saw him was when she was twelve. He came by before leaving for school," Reginald said as he stared at the doorway of her departure. "Vivian is correct. She would not do well with a fool. I am grateful he has proven not to be one."

Radley gave his father a bow before heading for Whites. A gentleman's club would be a fountain of information.

This first chapter introduces you to the way history records how some marriages were planned

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

This first chapter introduces you to the way history records how some marriages were planned. In many cases, the age gap was greater.  It is my intention to demonstrate how love can overcome a multitude of problems. I hope you enjoy this story.

Please, remember to vote. I would also like to hear what you think.