Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made

Radley walked into Ben's office with the intention of speaking with Owen concerning his good intentions. However, their heads shot up, looked at the sheet he held, and began shaking their heads.

"If that's what I think it is, you can forget showing it to us," Owen said as he waved his hands back and forth. "We know exactly what went on last night."

"By the way," Michael said, "your sudden drunkenness was an excellent performance. I wouldn't mind hearing the story of what happened once she had you in bed." He laughed at what he imagined.

Radley set the balled sheet down beside him as he took a seat on the sofa. "I'm afraid, ole chap, that information is private. Though I will say, she was quite willing. I'm off to get a special license, but if you would ring for coffee it would be most appreciated. My bride is upstairs dressing for our outing."

Owen frowned as he asked, "Does that mean you are taking my sister with you?"

"The house we saw today pleases her, thus, we have to give her list of items to my manager, who will see that her new home gets the work done while we are out of town." Radley reached behind his neck and squeezed before he stood to ring the bell himself.

"Do you plan on marrying my sister today? Father would want to witness such an event," Owen declared.

Radley gave the bell more than one ring. "He has another daughter. Ruth can plan a huge event when she lands her titled gent. Charlotte has agreed we wed today—if at all possible. I won't know if I can arrange it that quickly. Most couples elope to Scotland, but I'd rather not go to such extremes. Ben has connections, but he is not here." He stared at Owen and asked, "Would you know them?"

Owen shook his head. "If today fails to happen, we'll send a rider to Kensingdale and my father can arrange it. He has already been told of the news concerning Vivian and Ben. My brother decided he should know of the event and his plans to visit shortly."

Michael shrugged and said, "Well, if a party will already be planned, use it, Radley."

"Our sister should not have to share her party." Radley said as he returned to his place on the sofa.

"Vivian would gladly share. Parties have never been to her interest," Owen said

"A party, yes. A wedding with a party following? No. Vivian was married before she lost her virginity, our circumstances are different."

The presents of the butler caught Radley's attention. "Earnest, I am in need of coffee, black, and something to eat. Charlotte also will join me for breaking the fast. We are in a rush, so anything simple will be fine."

"Right away, Milord." He turned and walked out.

"Without knowing anything, I cannot give you an invitation at this time to attend the ceremony. You would need to come with us."

"If we did, Ruth would have a fit she wasn't included. I, of course, cannot speak for Michael," Owen stated.

He saw Michael shaking his head. "Good. This frees our day. I also have errands to attend to before tonight. I am also taking Charlotte to the opera. Hopefully, it will please her. Tomorrow, we shall all depart for Kendal. After our repast there, we go to Kensingdale. I plan to take Charlotte to Maywood for a time. I have much to do, besides entertaining her. A wedding trip to Rome would be advantageous as well. She would enjoy a tour of the fountains."

"If Vivian hears of this, she will wish to go as well," Owen assured him.

Radley nodded. "That would be Ben's decision."

Earnest stepped into the room with a cup of coffee and a serving pot. He offered Radley the coffee and set the pot down beside him. "There is headache powder inside that cup."