Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage

The day's plans held no surprises. They easily attained the special license, but Charlotte hesitated at the idea of the need of such a rushed marriage. Her gaze never reached his as his expression of confusion. With a sigh, she simply stated, "Last night? The loss of my maidenhead?"

Instead of arguing, he continued into the small chapel where he'd found a bishop to marry them. "If you doubt your love for me, then perhaps you should have considered the consequences last night."

"Radley, I have no doubts about my love for you or marrying you. I'm embarrassed about our need to marry quickly instead of...."

"You want to gain your father's permission and admit to him how we need to marry?" he said with a doubtful frown.

What he'd said had her looking down the aisle to where the bishop waited. "No, you're right. We should marry now."

Radley considered how his life with her would be spent outwitting her. "Good, come along, Charlotte." He raised his hand palm up and she accepted his offer clasping her hand in his.

The service was very short. They said their vows and the bishop gave them a blessing, however before they left, he asked if they wished to take confession. Radley shook his hand and told him, no, but they would make time after they returned to Maywood. As soon as they were back inside the carriage, he turned to her and kissed her soundly.

She was breathless when he released her. Their eyes met and she smiled with love shining in hers. "Now what?"

"My solicitor made arrangements for me to buy the house. I need to sign the paperwork and give him the list of what changes we want to have completed. With Michael staying at your house, and father gone, we shall return to the scene of your deflowering and have tea." He winked. "Not to mention some time in bed with you to consummate the marriage."

"It could be said that you accomplished that goal last night," she said with a teasing grin. "If it is possible, I would also enjoy sleeping there tonight."

"Then, of course, we shall. This evening we shall go to the opera as promised. I believe you will enjoy it."

"I will need to pack a bag and bring a gown to wear."

He slipped the reins free of the buggy and snapped them. "You will have time. Our brothers need to be told that your name has been changed to match mine," he said with a grin. "Though, I did mention where we were going. other than not informing them of accomplishing the vows as well. That should be a relief to both of them. They no longer carry that responsibility, since you are now mine."

"A fact I am very pleased with as well. After all, I rather like my new name. Lady Charlotte Brighton, or Viscountess Brighton sounds very prestigious. Should I thank you for the title?" she asked with a sassy grin.

"You definitely should. Later, I'll show you exactly how to thank me," he said with another wink.

"Will you show me how to do that other thing?"

He knew what she meant but found her slight blush charming. "I will definitely give you some instructions, but tasting is something we all know how to do." Her face heated into a darker shade of pink.

"I wasn't talking about that. It was that other one in the book."

"Which one?"

"I'll show you."

"Describe it," he said as he fought a grin. His bride still had trouble discussing sex.

"The one where I'd straddle your lap with my back to you. You said I'd like it."