Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination

Dinner at Lord Brighton's was strained. Vivian became angry when she discovered her father had changed her seating arrangement. He, of course, sat at the head of the table. Vivian sat at the opposite end. On his right were his sons, Radley and Michael with Ruth placed between them. Ben sat across the table from them next to Lord Brighton's left side. Charlotte had been assigned to sit between him and his brother, leaving Owen next to Vivian.

Ben wondered if he had done it to stir trouble. Owen was courteous, friendly, and tried to entertain Vivian by telling her about their childhood and what he remembered hearing from Ben about his visits with her. She was pleased, though he wished he could have had the opportunity to spend time sharing things with her. It seemed reasonable since Owen did not have the opportunity to visit today.

He watched as Radley and Michael conversed with their father about business while ignoring Ruth. Therefore, he only had Charlotte to speak to. He paid attention to Vivian and when he smiled at her, she smiled back then glared at her father.

Ben wondered why he had interfered unless it was to provide the opportunity for her to become acquainted with Owen. The arrangement also separated his sons from Charlotte, though Radley continued to smile at her. He knew his sister. Doubts could turn to frustration and irritation, like they had when Radley had spoken of Vivian and her intelligence. This seating arrangement she would see as casting her aside and that would put a wedge between her and Lord Brighton.

By the time dinner ended and they were invited to share a drink. He knew it would be considered rude to leave directly after dinner. He hoped that the yawns Ruth continued to show came from boredom.

He rose from his chair and watched Owen help Vivian from her chair. Radley helped Ruth leaving him to assist Charlotte from the table.

"Vivian, escort the ladies to the parlor," her father said. "Gentlemen, if you will come with me to the library; we can share a brandy and discuss a few things."

Vivian stepped beside Ben and took his hand. "Will you tell me what he has to say?" she asked whisper soft. "I do not trust him after what he did."

He cupped her cheek and smiled, but also noticed the way her father watched them. "On the morrow, we shall. For now, I ask that you find something of interest for Ruth. I fear my sister is on the edge of curling onto your sofa and falling asleep."

She glanced at her and saw he was right. "She enjoys art. Perhaps she will enjoy the art collection."

"I would be grateful." He kissed her hand and led her from the dining room. It was here that they parted. He also noticed how Charlotte refused to speak or look at Radley or Michael. This would not forebode a good visit for the morrow.

He entered the library that was larger than the one Vivian claimed as hers. Shelves circled the room all the way to the ceiling with a platform dividing the height. He wondered if Vivian had read these books. There had to be thousands of them.

Lord Brighton stepped to a cabinet and poured brandy into glasses. Michael took them and handed one to Owen and one to him. Radley poured a tumbler with amber liquid and then took a chair.

"What was the point of the dinner arrangement, Father," Radley asked.

"Put a beautiful woman between you and Michael and you would fail to speak to anyone else."

"That makes you sound jealous and manipulative. You created ill will with Charlotte in your behavior and Vivian will likely rebel at anything you say. If mother were here, you would not have gotten away with this."

"She would have listened to reason. Vivian, however, would not." Lord Brighton motioned to a chair for Ben to take. "You will learn that my daughter is headstrong."