Chapter Five: Messages of Hope

Radley walked down the hall and tapped on the door to his father's office. At his call to enter, he stepped inside and shut the door behind him. After Vivian surprised them, he did not wish to repeat the mishap when Father wished to discuss his visit with Ben.

"Did all go well?" his father asked.

"You chose a respectable family with honor and courtesy," he said crossing the room to join him on the settee. He watched his father slide a bookmark between the pages of the book he had been reading.

"Tell me what you discovered?" Reginald inquired setting the book aside.

Radley took a seat in a chair across from his father and shared what he had learned, then informed him of their plans for the morning. His father nodded hearing the initial mention of the contract had found harmony.

"Radley, I have concerns."

Radley cocked his head waiting to hear more. "Father, I assure you, Ben has tender feelings for Vivian."

"Part of the reason I kept them apart dealt with a concern they would develop a sibling relationship. It would not do for her to see him as a brother or her as a sister."

"I believe you have prevented such, Father. He seemed most relieved to be invited to renew their relationship once more."

He nodded his head but his countenance held worry. "By design, I wished to wait another year. I am aware that many girls are placed on the marriage block at sixteen," he said with disapproval. "Such is why I wished to give her a season when she is eighteen. Now I fear they will not wait."

Radley knew most girls at sixteen were still childish. "We are speaking of Vivian. Her body may be sixteen, but her mind is mature. You chose her life for her and Ben is determined to give her the freedom of choice. He will return the dowry if she is not pleased with him. However, I know she will be. Allow them the courtship. She is entitled."

The worry did not pale. "I may need to request they wait a year."

"I counsel you to not interfere or she may revolt against you. Most weddings take a year to plan. If you must intercede, do so by encouraging her to begin plans for such an event. The wedding gown takes months if elaborate enough," Radley said with a grin. "We can take a trip to visit Lord Nathan at Kensingdale for Christmas. There are many events we can arrange to assure they have a courtship yet are not alone. This will help."

"You are willing to chaperone?"

Radley bowed his head in a nod. "I am quite struck with Charlotte and wish to pursue her."

Reginald laughed. "Nathan would be most pleased, but I question who you would request permission from to court her. As it is, I believe Ben would have that say if you decide to escort her alone to an event." He chuckled shaking his head. "As a chaperone for Vivian, you could easily be distracted."

Radley bowed to his father and left the room. He was pleased he had removed such concern from him. With this understanding, he would need to impress his best upon Charlotte and watch what he said carefully...

Thirty minutes later, Radley collected the note Vivian had written to Ben and sent both messages with Samuel to the address given. Afterward, he stepped into his study to go through the invitations to dinner parties or soirées for possible events to arrange invitations for Ben and Charlotte.

* * *

Ben heard the door knocker and remembered Radley's plan to send a message to Charlotte. When Haywood, their butler, brought him an envelope, he hoped tomorrow's plans had not been canceled. He took the message and saw it was from Vivian. Not wishing to be disturbed, he stepped to the door and turned the key to lock it before returning to his desk. For the past two hours, he had tried to work but found the task too difficult. His thought trailed to what he had heard today about his intended.