Chapter Eight: The Unexpected

"Is your sister always this rebellious?" Radley asked Ben from the back of his horse as they rode after her.

"She claims she is independently minded like our mother. You will understand once you meet her. Mother rules the house and the children. Charlotte's attitude is why she is now staying with me. My parents believe this is good training for me. One day I will have daughters."

"Or a young wife," he said laughing. "How is that working?"

"Charlotte understand limitations and when I have reached mine—or when I demand something as I did when you were visiting. Though, I know I can send her home to father."

He laughed even harder. "I am seeing she has a strong spirit."

"In comparison, Ruth is calm. Are you sure you wish to tangle with Charlotte? I can retrieve your mount and you can ride home."

"No, but I will, as you say, rattle her teeth for taking my horse."

"Notice she is not riding towards home. She wants the chase." They watched her ride through the marble entrance of Hyde Park at a fast gallop.

Radley laughed harder. "For taking my horse, she'll get more than she counted on, I assure you."

Ben urged his mount to run with more speed and pulled beside his sister. She glanced at him and he gave her 'the look' of disapproval. She pulled on the reins to come to a stop. "That is not your horse, Charlotte. You know better than to ride astride at Hyde Park. Climb down and apologize."

A fierce mulish glare came into her eyes as she watched Radley slide down from Ben's horse. "He took me off my horse. It was only fair I take his," she said with fire.

Ben kept a harsh expression of disappointment. "He has my permission to make his point at being left afoot. One does not expect a man to ride sidesaddle and you know this. You will be fortunate if he doesn't blister your behind."

With that, Ben watched two faces turn from determination to one of shock. The permission changed Radley's expression into devilish glee as he took Charlotte from his horse. Instead of using his shoulders to get down, she fell on him and he caught her. He put her on her feet, took her wrist, and began to drag her towards the benches along the pedestrian path with his horse following behind them.

"I'll bring her horse, though she may not be able to ride," he said roaring with laughter. He knew this was only the beginning between those two. Radley had to have as much fire as Charlotte or she would burn him to a crisp.

He turned his horse and kicked in to ride quickly back to Vivian and Ruth. He found them both laughing as they rode side-by-side pulling Charlotte's horse beside them. The sight of Vivian having fun pleased him. He did not have the patience for illogical behavior such as Charlotte's, but that was his attitude dealing with her. It was also why he threatened and followed through with her. With Vivian, perhaps he would see it differently. He did not see such turmoil with her.

When he rode up beside her, she offered him the reins to Radley's horse. "You left my brother alone with Charlotte? Are you not concerned for his behavior?"

"They needed to come to an understanding. Taking a man's horse is a huge insult. In the west, it could get a thief killed."

She giggled at what he said, her eyes lit with humor before asking, "Do you read those dime novels from America about the Wild West? I have read a few as well. They are exciting."

He laughed. "You caught me. We shall share the next one."

She nodded and asked Ruth if she read them as well. For about five minutes, they shared some of the more exciting parts of what they'd read. When they came upon Radley's horse, they searched to find him and Charlotte. Ben saw the edge of Charlotte's skirt showing on the opposite side of the tree. He leaned out and saw Radley with his arms braced on each side of her. Instead of yelling in her face, he was kissing her. As taboo as that was, he dismounted and tied Charlotte's horse to the fence beside Radley's mount.