Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home

Later that afternoon, they returned to Maywood Manor with the two prisoners and the evidence. At the sound of wagon wheels rolling over the cobblestone, Ben, Vivian, and Charlotte hurried out the back door suspecting it was them who had arrived.

Before Radley could dismount, Charlotte raced down the steps and ran towards him. She ignored the others while thinking of no one but him.

He took his foot from the stirrup just in time to catch her. "Miss me?"

"Of course, I did. I worried a little too. I was unsure how dangerous these men were."

He hugged her close to him as they walked towards Ben and Vivian. Charlotte waved her fingers at Dalton, and he smiled back before giving instruction to Winston, who hurried towards the house.

"I've got wonderful news," Radley told them as his father came to join them. "Dalton and George said we can leave for Kensingdale."

"Are they leaving already?" Vivian asked.

He shook his head. "They're staying, but we're leaving. Ben, do you believe it's necessary to send a message to inform your father of our arrival?"

Ben smiled and hugged Vivian, who was obviously excited. "Father will be delighted with the surprise. How soon can we leave?"

"We can pack and leave in the morning," Radley said with a huge smile.

Charlotte and Vivian clasped hands and twirled in a circle like children. When they stopped, Vivian bounced on her toes and hugged Ben around his waist. He hugged her back as he smiled with pleasure.

"Our brothers will be disappointed that they missed all of the excitement," Charlotte told them. "Oh, did you recover what was stolen?"

"We did." He turned and pointed as the Bobbies helped the prisoners down from the wagon. "Those two had what was missing. I will tell you all about it later. Right now, I wished to go inside and pour myself a drink."

They all followed him inside, and he saw Winston coming up from the basement. He slipped his arm around Charlotte and hurried her towards his office. He didn't want her to watch this event bringing those thieves inside.

*

Before Ben left the next day, he promised Dalton he would visit soon. Both girls hugged him for all of his help and then eagerly raced out to the carriage.

The laughter in Ben's eyes had Dalton patting his back. "Go and enjoy the celebration with your father. We shall speak in London."

Ben nodded and hurried to the carriage. Radley was the last since his father already waited. "This has been a very educational time with you that school neglected to teach me. I will look forward to visiting with you, and I would not regret seeing you upon our return here to Maywood Manor."

He laughed. "Radley, what you need is time with your bride. You don't need us here. Nor do I wish to be here that long. I have secretaries who will help with all of this paperwork."

"Then I will call upon you in London after we return."

They shook hands as friends, and Radley went out to climb into the carriage. The footman secured the ladder, and the door was closed.

Kensingdale Manor

Three hours later, just before noon, Ben's family home came into view. The bright sunshine hit the crystal chips in the cream-colored stone, and it glisten like a jewel. Vivian pointed with awe and kissed Ben's cheek. To her, the house looked as if it were a fairytale castle.

"It's big enough," he answered her.

Charlotte smiled because she loved seeing Vivian's enthusiasm.