Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology

Charlotte returned and saw Radley still writing. Before she took a seat, a maid with pretty blonde hair and a cap sitting atop her head paused at the door with a teacart. Charlotte waved her inside. "Set it up on the server, if you please."

The servant bobbed a curtsy and did as instructed. When she was finished, she turned and asked, "Will there be anything more, Milady?"

"If my brother and sister return, please have Alfred direct them here."

"I'm sure he will," she said and scampered out.

Charlotte rose to prepare a plate for Radley, but before she had finished pouring his tea, she heard footsteps coming down the hall.

Ben entered the room with Vivian's hand in his. Radley saw his father enter right behind them. He set down the ink pen and stood.

Vivian saw they were alone and asked, "Where's Michael and Owen?"

"They didn't come with us."

"You came alone?" she asked with a gasp. "That's not done, Radley."

"It is when the woman is your wife," he said, smiling at her. "We were married two days ago." He registered the surprise on everyone's face but Ben's. Instead, he shook his head and chuckled.

Vivian squealed with joy, dropped Ben's hand, and dashed over to where Charlotte stood. "I should not be surprised, but I am so pleased. I now have a sister." Without hesitating, she pulled her into her arms and hugged her.

Charlotte hugged her back. "We became sisters when you married my brother."

They released the hug, and Vivian trilled with a giggling voice saying, "I know, but now we are twice bound. I am so thrilled." Vivian turned to see Radley staring at their father with unrest in his eyes.

Charlotte saw it too. "Perhaps you should pour the tea, Vivian. Your brother needs me." However, before she took a step, Ben approached him.

Ben reached out, took Radley's hand in congratulation, and drew his attention away from Reginald. "I thought you and my sister would wait until we saw my father, but I am pleased by the news. Did you two manage to sneak away without Owen and Michael tagging along?"

Radley appreciated the time he was given to control his emotions. "We left early to enjoy a few days at Maywood. However, we ran into a spot of trouble."

Charlotte mumbled, "Better discovering it when we did, sweetheart."

She hadn't been quiet, but his mood definitely lightened when she winked at him. "My wife is quite right. Any later and there would have been nothing left in the house."

"What are you talking about," Ben asked with concern.

"It seems that I hired a thieving bookkeeper. Instead of forging my records, he stole the checks I sent, all my good furniture that could bring a handsome price, and then emptied my stables." Radley saw Charlotte approach and opened his arm to pull her into his side. He needed her at this moment.

"At first, we thought the servants were enjoying themselves since no one came to the door, so we planned to surprise them," Charlotte explained. "The lack of a chandelier in the entrance was when I became curious. Radley noticed the furniture gone, but then he thought of his cattle. Those horses being gone made his face lose all color."

"That's when I raced to see if my safe was still there."

Charlotte hugged his arm, "As if anyone could carry that monstrosity off." She looked at Ben. "That foolish man did try to break the combination and handle. He dented it, but Radley still managed to open the safe."