Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods

The family and the Barristers met in the parlor for drinks. Radley was more relaxed since he and Charlotte had found time alone. He poured her and Vivian a glass of sherry and then saw to making drinks for the men.

"Dare I ask how the interrogation went with the prisoners?" Radley asked as he handed Dalton and George a whiskey.

"It went rather well, actually. Your father started him thinking about a lesser sentence or anywhere but Newgate Prison. As before, he began to bargain. He affirmed that Lord Milton had taken your horses, which we know to be a fact," he said, taking a sip of his drink.

Reginald moved beside Radley, took the drinks he had poured, and handed one to Ben. Radley stood holding his glass as he waited to hear more.

"Talbot admitted that he became nervous because he saw the tenants watching the house. So he went back to Lord Milton and took the dishes, silverware, serving dishes, paintings, vases, and other smaller items. I suspect Talbot took things you're unaware of." He watched as Radley's new bride came to his side to comfort him.

"The three hostages Bogsley captured spying admitted that a wagon had come and servants had carried in multiple items. This happened a few days after the horses were brought to Milton's stables. Putting that together, I'm sure Talbot had mentioned the items. That puts Lord Milton in a guilty standing due to previous knowledge. We have proof of that with the list that Quint so tediously listed."

"If Milton's spies knew that much, did they know it was stolen goods?"

"I'm sure they did, but that is circumstantial evidence. Just as Lewis watched out for you, those men could have done the same for Lord Milton. There is no proof that they took part in the transaction."

At Radley's nod, Charlotte asked, "What about the pay Talbot stole from the servants? Did he spend it?"

"No, he said it is in his house, which he says is in Maywood." He looked to Radley for confirmation, but he shrugged.

"I never went to his house, Dalton. That's where he said he lived, and I have that information in my desk, which I'll show you later, but we won't know until we go to Maywood and see." Radley tipped his glass up and swallowed the contents of the glass, then set it down. "After what he's done to the staff and me, Newgate is a good place for him."

"That's understandable," Dalton told him. "But he's been very cooperative, and you should regain all you have lost. That counts for something. He simply didn't see his actions as hurting you because you are so rich. This was greed. There are different levels of that disease. Sometimes, people are seriously hurt or murdered. That wasn't the case here. I believe he will serve his time and think twice before repeating such a crime."

"In the morning, we shall go to Lord Milton's and search his house. I fear that will take most of the morning. Then we shall go to Maywood and investigate Magistrate Peterson. The officers I have with me will review the arrest records, if there are any. It will only take one mistake, but I'm sure we will find more. He, too, will be brought to justice for taking bribes, but I must find evidence.

"Once that is taken care of, we will stop at Talbot's house. I have a hunch we will find more than just money." He cleared his throat. "I need to see the sales receipts for the horses and compare the information with the horses in the stables. I can't necessarily take them as evidence. George will verify the match. After we do that, I will write up a warrant for Lord Milton. What we find will be further charges added and proof to his involvement."

"I put the receipts back into my vault. Do you wish to see them now or after dinner?" Radley asked.

"How about we face it in the morning? It will be easier to see the horses in the daylight." Dalton set his empty glass down. "When I came here, I expected this to take a week to straighten out. I'm amazed at the help you've had. If everyone took part in watching out for their neighbor, crime would diminish substantially."