Epilogue

Months had passed since Radley and Charlotte's marriage. They had gone through days that seemed like weeks. The thief had stolen more from them than items, but mainly it was his time with his bride.

After the party, they returned to Maywood Manor and had two glorious weeks alone. They played like children and loved at night. Then London called them back to begin building their new home there. Instead of staying with Ben, they stayed with his father, who spoiled Charlotte.

She chose what worked for their new home, and a month later, they moved in. Two weeks passed when she began finding food nauseating. Each morning, Radley saw she had her tea and dry toast, which allowed her to move from the bed. There was no question she carried their child.

Vivian rode over daily, and they learned about childbirth. A terrifying subject, to be sure. Surprisingly, it was Vivian's calm assurance that encouraged Charlotte. Because her mother had birthed six children without a problem, so would she.

She was four months along and just showing when the court trials began. Radley attended them daily for two weeks with Ben, who wished to see his friend in court. Lord Milton was tried first. There wasn't such a harsh judgment on a man who bought stolen goods. He had been in prison for almost six months before the trial began. He was pale, thin, and he had aged greatly. His wife sat in the gallery. She continued to touch a hanky to her eyes to wipe the tears away.

She would have been alone, since her son refused to come. However, Reginald once again offered to help by accompanying her. The sentencing was a year and a half, counting the time he had served. The fear was that he would not live long. A subject Radley and Dalton had discussed at length.

Dalton agreed that Lord Milton would be sent to a farm for hard labor. Not the rock mines, but a farm. He would plow a field, plant, and harvest both spring and fall. This would insure he would grow strong and healthy instead of facing possible death. The baroness would be given visiting privileges of one hour per month.

She had almost fainted with gratitude when she heard the sentencing. The farm was not far from their home, and he would have learned his lesson.

Lord Milton cried with relief as they took him from the court. Dalton gazed at Radley, and they nodded with satisfaction. Neither felt the man deserved a death sentence for his actions.

Reginald escorted her out to say goodbye to her husband. He would see that she returned to her manor.

The trial for Peterson and Talbot was condemning. The evidence was presented, and they were sentenced. Magistrate Peterson: ten years. Talbot: eight years because he had cooperated with the barristers. His sentence was reduced. He was not spared prison, nor was Peterson.

The day it was over, he returned home to find Charlotte lounging on the sofa, rubbing her tummy, which he thought looked uncomfortable. "My dear, are you feeling poorly?"

"Your child likes to kick. If you put your hand just here, you can feel his foot."

He knelt beside her and pressed his palm against her. A smile appeared on his face as he felt the tiny impression of a foot. "Son, you mustn't wear your mother down with your play. She may smack your bottom for it when you come into this world."

"I believe that the doctor will do that," she said with assurance.

He sat at the foot of the sofa, and put her feet on his lap and began to rub them. "Do you wish to know the results, my love?"

"I don't believe I do. Whenever I become agitated, this babe gets angry."

"You see? The child must be a boy. He will be very protective of his mother."