Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education

Ben continued to wait at the window and saw the moment Vivian rode into their front yard at a gallop. Radley raced close behind her. A wide smile filled his face as he chuckled. They had likely been racing. Ben set his teacup down and headed for the door to help her dismount.

Harwood heard him coming and swung the door open with a wry grin on his face. They constantly enjoyed a game of anticipating what one would do. Ben shook his head with humor as he stepped outside to help her down.

He took the reins and tied them to the ring mount, then stepped beside her. She handed him a book that he noticed was the Debrett's Peerage edition his sister had loaned her. "Did you already read it?" he asked as he set it down on the ground to reach for her.

"Enough to know it didn't have anything to help us." She swung her leg free from the leghorn and used his wide shoulders to jump down. She leaned down and picked up the book. "Most of the items listed in here a girl learns early. I'll return it to Charlotte. There are a few things I wish to discuss with her. I believe your mother may have spoken with her about courtship." She looped her arm around his. "It is good to see you this morning."

"I am pleased to see you as well, my dear. You are looking quite lovely this morning." The sound of Radley clearing his throat had him turning to acknowledge him with a bow of his head. "Glad to see you as well, Radley. Will Michael be joining us this morning?"

"He will soon follow. Vivian had no desire to wait on him, so I either had to come with her or she would have come alone," he said frowning at her. "Luckily, I was ready. However, a cup of tea would be appreciated. Has Charlotte come down?"

Ben smiled at his eagerness. "She has not, though, I will send a maid to her room to inform her of your arrival." He guided them towards the library with the assumption Vivian would want to see it.

"Harwood, pleased see to serving our guests tea in the library."

"Yes, Milord." He left to see to it and they stepped into the library.

Vivian looked around the room before dropping her hands from his arm to move closer to the books. As she viewed the titles on the spines, her smile grew larger. "You have an excellent library," she said with excitement.

"Thank you, my dear. I hope there are books you have yet to study." He looked at Radley and motioned towards one of the chairs sitting by the fireplace. "Take a seat. I am sure Vivian will enjoy studying my selection." He watched her as she came to the selection in other languages and stopped in front of those in French. "Vivian, are you looking for something in particular?"

She glanced over her shoulder at Ben and told him, "Anatomy."

"Medical books are on the second level. Would you like my help?" he asked.

She whirled back to face him and shook her head. "Perhaps later." She continued to look. "The weather is quite unpleasant for riding. I will enjoy spending time with you discussing the past few years we've been apart."

"I would enjoy that. My work today concerns a few problems with the farmers," he said with a smile. "One wishes to buy pigs. They are good for many things, such as trampling down newly dug watering holes so they'll hold water when it rains." He winked at her. "You will probably enjoy visiting with Charlotte while I read their plans. This subject will probably bore you."

Harwood pushed a cart into the room and began to pour the tea. After he served the guests, he asked, "Will that be all, Milord?"

"Please send a maid to inform Charlotte that our guests have arrived. You may also tell her we are waiting upon her to eat." Ben said hearing laughter come from Radley. Harwood bowed and left. "I believe she may have found sport in vexing you."