Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings

Radley watched Charlotte as they rode towards the park. She was constantly checking her clothes and hair while keeping alert to what was around her. He assumed she was embarrassed about her appearance.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," he said, reaching out to pat her hand. When he touched her, she jerked her hand away from him, but he felt her nerves. "We don't have to go today."

He pulled the buggy to the side of the road in clear view of the arched entrance to the park. They saw a parade of carriages not too far away. He waited while she watched.

"They are here to see those they know, say hello, and then move along. Longer visits are done when they call upon their friends or see them at gatherings such as balls."

"I know that, Radley. I may not have been part of it, but Ben and Owen have told me. They said they would take me, but never had the time. I'm sure I won't know anyone. The gatherings I've been to were friends of Father's."

"I'll introduce you to those I know," he said as he flicked the reins to move the horses. They rode into the park and passed those going in the opposite direction. He nodded to those he knew but not well enough to stop and introduce her. Each time he did, she would look at him and frown.

Before long, he heard a whistle, and then someone called his name. He turned to look back and recognized two of his friends from school, riding hard upon their steeds to catch them.

When they rode beside the carriage, a man with dark curly hair leaned out to clasp Radley's hand. "Brice, this is the last place I'd expect to see you."

He shrugged but kept looking at Charlotte. "We were here meeting Langford."

The other rider nudged his horse to push the other horse aside. Radley grinned as he reached out to clasp his hand. "Rob, good to see you."

"By the beauty beside you, the timing may be off. Want to introduce us to your friend, Rad?" He smiled at Charlotte with interest.

"I'm not sure I should, Rob," Radley said while laughing. "This is Lady Charlotte Caldwell, daughter of the Marquess of Kensingdale." He watched as she smiled in greeting. "This is Lord Robert Ashton and Lord Brice Parker. We went to school together."

As he watched, Rob's eyes met with hers and lingered. Rob had a reputation as a lady's man and for a good reason. He had an outgoing personality and the good looks to go with it.

Radley's heart ached to see that Charlotte wasn't immune. When Rob turned on the charm, her cheeks brightened, and her eyes fluttered. At that moment, Rob reached out with his palm, and without hesitation, she placed her hand in his, and then her gaze followed his movement as he kissed her fingers.

Radley looked away and saw Brice shake his head.

Rob asked her, "Why haven't I seen you before?" Charlotte only batted her eyes sweetly. "You are not one I would forget."

"I found her first," Radley said as he frowned at Rob.

"Yes, and now she's met me, haven't you, sweetheart."

She jerked her hand free of his, and the men laughed. "Nor am I someone to be used for your amusement." She sat back and crossed her arms over her chest.

Charlotte meant to show her disapproval, but it emphasized the fullness of her breasts.

Radley knew she was seldom teased. Neither Ben nor Owen would dare to treat their sister in such a manner. Nor did he approve of her treatment now. Her pike put an end to their short visit. Nevertheless, Brice and Rob encouraged him to meet them for drinks at Whites, and he agreed to do so.