Chapter Eighteen: Understanding

Ben had the license tucked safely away inside the breast pocket of his long, black raincoat. In all the years of knowing he would one day marry Vivian, he never dreamed it would be an act of desperation that made them rush towards the altar.

He had imagined seeing her make the wedding plans, choose a dress, addressing invitations with Charlotte's help. He had also pictured his mother coming to town to help her since Vivian didn't have a mother.

Now, any possible plans for a big wedding day were ruined all because her father could not act rationally. He understood that fear enough to continue his celibacy until he learned more.

Her mother had delivered two healthy sons before giving birth to Vivian. Ben wondered what the doctor had given as a reason for her death. To assure Vivian's safety, he would see a doctor, perhaps have Vivian physically checked, and get his professional opinion on having children.

In the meantime, he needed to know the best way to prevent pregnancy besides abstinence. He had looked at that book she had brought, and there were other ways to enjoy sex together. Vivian would enjoy the challenge. So would he.

The only problem would be in not consummating the marriage. If her father wanted proof, that could become a problem. But he could still break her hymen. With her knowledge of anatomy, she may know how. If not, perhaps the book would have that information. That would give them more time together without interference from her father. She was convinced they could wed and still have a courtship. After all, this was an arranged marriage.

"You are looking more confident now that you know you have little choice in the matter," Radley told him.

He nodded. "I must learn how to prevent conception before we..."

"Consummate the marriage? You need to buy skins." At Ben's confusion, Radley sighed. "They are flexible tubes that fit over an erection. They're made from lamb intestines or the bladder. That's why they are called lambskins officially. You roll it on, wearing it during intercourse, and it prevents pregnancy because it holds the semen. It's not a hundred percent foolproof, so it's best to pull out of the canal before ejaculation. Since a pregnancy would be a bad thing for me, this is what I have always done.

"Afterwards, you throw the used skin away... or I do. I wouldn't know how to clean it. You can find them at the barber shop or open-air markets. I've even seen skins sold at the theater, but I don't trust those. They could have holes. The best place is at the chemists. We should stop and buy a box full. If you don't make love to my sister, the marriage could be annulled by the church." He pointed towards town. "That book that Vivian took from the library at home shows how to apply the skin," he said with a smirk.

"You knew she has it?"

"I saw it sticking out of her pocket when she dismounted this morning. It only made sense that she planned to show you, and perhaps, share it with Charlotte too."

"Yes. She took it with her to talk to Charlotte right after you left. I doubt my mother would approve."

"I do. A girl should know what it's about instead of walking blindly into it. A male's penis at full erection can be shocking to a virgin. That book has some excellent drawings of one." He wiggled his eyebrows. "I studied it nightly when I was sixteen. Guess girls are not any different in their curiosity."

Ben's sudden laughter had his horse stepping sideways, making him tighten the reins. "Vivian insists we buy one for our bedroom."

"I shouldn't be surprised. She never hesitates to ask questions. Michael and I have taken turns answering her inquisitions. I'm glad it's your turn. Stay honest because she will research it anyway," he said with a smirk. "I was caught a time or two exaggerating. Then I had to explain the difference between that and an outright lie. Nothing is as insulting to her as a lie. Admit when you don't know something. But be prepared, when she finds the answer, she will explain it to you."