Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise

The front door knocker resounded in the hallway. Earnest opened the door as Ben came down the stairs. Radley and Michael were ushered inside with cheerful greetings. Both were dressed in black, formal wear a man would wear for a ball. Ben wore a similar style.

Ben watched as Earnest took the bag and ball gown from Radley and had a maid take the items upstairs to give to the lady's maid. Ben led them into the library to offer them a drink.

He studied the subdued expression on Michael's face and confronted him. "I see you aren't exactly pleased with our plans to marry."

"I'm disappointed that Vivian will not have a grand wedding... even though I know she would not wish for one. Father should be here."

"If we wait..."

"I understand the situation, Ben. There is no need to explain further. Radley told me about our godparents. I never liked Douglas Franks. He's always bent to do my father's will. However, Beatrice is our mother's sister and she should have been invited, yet this too was spoiled by Father's desire to isolate Vivian. While growing up, she was always there for us. It was Father's idea to limit her visits. He claimed Vivian would come to think of her as her mother."

Ben's brows pulled together in a troubled frown. "How old was Vivian when her visits were limited? I don't remember hearing of this."

"She was only two. He justified his action by saying Vivian had a full time nanny and didn't need the confusion. But Aunt Beatrice resembles our mother and I believe he had trouble seeing her come and be a substitute for our mother."

This information explained a few things. First, her aunt had stopped coming, then, he had stopped seeing her, and now, the threat was back do stop them from seeing each other. She was depending on him to protect her from this continuing to happen.

He had no doubts about the love she had for him. Tonight, he had no choice but to keep her godparents at a distance. However, in a few weeks, if Vivian agreed, he would invite her aunt over for tea so they could renew their relationship.

As Michael explained the situation, Radley went to the cabinet and poured three whiskies. Cupping the bottom of two glasses, and taking the third with his left hand, he joined Ben and Michael and offered them the drinks. "This should help with your nerves," he said with a crooked grin. "I know you are only nervous about the possibility of being confronted by our uncle, but I assure you, we are here to help. Not to mention Dalton standing up for you. He is a special friend to do so."

"That's true. We've allowed our work to interfere for too long. I will make the time to maintain our friendship."

"Do you have the ring?" Michael asked.

Ben patted his pocket. "It's an heirloom. I hope I chose what she would like."

"Let me see it and I'll tell you if it suits her taste. She will not wear flamboyant jewelry," Michael said as he held out his hand for the ring.

Ben reached into his pocket to pull out the ring. "I've noticed that she doesn't wear jewels. The necklace she wore yesterday was a simple butterfly on a chain. I am sure your father has given her the jewels belonging to her mother."

"The butterfly was hers," Radley told him, but most of the jewels will come to me, which I will then split between us. "Father has antiquated ideas as to what should go to the heir. But most of the jewelry Vivian wanted, she has. Our mother was not one to enjoy large stones."

Ben dropped the ring in Michael's hand, then he picked it up to hold towards the light. The wide-band looked as if it were lace that had been dipped in gold. "This belonged to my great grandmother. She kept a diary and loved my great grandfather. They had a good life together; even though she had been chosen by the king as a prize for grandfather's loyalty in the war."