Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction

Charlotte stood with Radley at the base of the staircase. "Take a grip on the banister, Radley. Here we go, one step at a time." She looked up and sighed at how many steps that would be.

They slowly climbed a few steps before he lost his balance and went down one step throwing her against him. He stood there holding her so tightly that she thought it had scared him.

"Come along, just hang onto me and that banister." They climbed a few more steps when there was a knock on the door. "Damn, that's probably Owen. Would you please try to hurry? I don't want him interfering."

"I should go and greet him."

"No. Absolutely not. Pay attention to the steps, Radley. I'm sure Michael will greet him."

"As you wish," he said resting against the railing for a moment. "Perhaps if I crawl this could be faster?"

"No, you'd just fall asleep on the stairs. Keep stepping up."

Once again, she missed the sparkle in his eyes. "I've not had such difficulty before. I wonder why that is?"

"I doubt you drink liquor as if it's water. That may be something you limit doing in the future."

He pulled his body up a few more steps. Michael's voice, as he greeted Owen, was enough incentive for him to hurry along. To do so, he leaned forward until it propelled them forward. It was a miracle their brothers weren't rushing upstairs. Instead, he heard quiet laughter and Owen ask if they should help. His brother said no, and their footsteps led away from the staircase. He would need to thank Michael for his help.

At the top, he turned and almost tangled up his feet, on purpose, but headed in the direction of his bedroom down the hallway. He used the wall to balance and stumbled a few times for good measure.

"After I make love to you, you'll have to marry me," he said with slurred speech. "You best be sure you love me. Marriage is a l-o-n-g, l-o-n-g time."

"You make it sound as if marriage is a prison sentence."

"Depends. Ya gotta like me. Can't change. That would be bad."

She once again felt the guilt rise up. "I love who you are. But tomorrow, we'll speak of boundaries. Vivian is old enough to see us kissing, but Ruth isn't."

"I don't wish to kiss your sister," he said drunkenly.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, I didn't mean... oh, never mind. This will wait until tomorrow. I'll write you a note before I leave so you will know I was here and even tucked you in your bed."

He loved it when she became frustrated and fought to hide his grin. "You plan to leave?"

"Do you expect me to sleep with you?"

"That's a good idea." He stopped and leaned against a door. "This is my room. We'll go inside after I gain my bearings."

"Sure you will." She reached out and opened the door then slowly walked him across the room to his bed where she helped him sit. However, he plopped back. "Don't go to sleep. I need to help you undress."

"That's good. Take my shoes off first. My pants won't come off unless you do."

She slipped his boots off and then his socks. "You have to sit up."

"No, I'm dizzy."

"Radley, help me. Sit up so I can take your vest off. You'll be more comfortable." When he tried to snuggle into the bed, she grabbed his arm and decided to play dirty. "How can you make love to me if you're still dressed?"