Chapter Six: Promising Start

Dressed for his ride with Vivian, Ben trotted down the stairs to join his family for breaking the fast. Charlotte sat at the table speaking with Owen and Ruth while they waited for his arrival. Everyone was dressed for their outing except for Owen. He knew business prevented him from joining them.

"Good morn," he said sliding his chair from the table to take his seat. "It appears that we will have a fine day for riding in the park. It would be disappointing to miss my time with Vivian."

Ruth chuckled at the thought. "She would be just as pleased spending the time with you riding in our coach regardless of rain."

Owen grinned as he looked at the crooked smile on his brother. "Not that I will be missed, but I must send her my regrets. Please inform her I will be pleased to meet her tonight. My meeting this morning is important." He looked at Charlotte and said, "Samuel told me that two notes arrived from the Brighton household. One was for you and the other for Ben. Radley had been most regretful concerning that misunderstanding. He feared making a bad impression. I suspect that note was him trying to make amends. For Ben's sake, I hope you are willing to accept his apology."

Her cheeks turned pink as her eyes dropped. "He was very polite in excusing me for my overreaction, though he did not state it as so. Ben was correct to stop me. I had misunderstood the situation. I will apologize to him this morning."

"A note of apology would have been easier, but I admire your decision to face him to admit your mistake. Be sure and smile when he graciously accepts," Owen said teasingly. "He will be pleased you are not displeased with him." He touched the napkin to his lips to hide his grin.

Ruth looked at Ben asking, "What did Vivian say in her note to you, Ben?"

Charlotte covered her hand. "It is not right to inquire about what someone wrote to another. That is clearly none of your concern. If it is, Ben would tell you. His plans are not changed or we would be told."

Ruth took no offense being told correct behavior, so she nodded.

Ben smiled. "Vivian requested we stay and visit after our ride. I will gauge our time there upon her enjoyment of our stay. Before we go, I would like to cut her a bouquet of flowers. Would one of you have a spare ribbon to give me? I wish to tie the stalks with something pretty."

"What color? I have many," Ruth replied.

Charlotte told her, "That depends on the color of flowers he chooses. It is too early in their relationship for her to receive red roses. He will give those to her later. She is young and innocent. I believe a mix of sweet smelling flowers will delight her."

After they finished the meal, Charlotte accompanied him to the garden with her sheers and a basket. He chose what he liked and she suggested others. When they gathered enough for a full bouquet, she offered to arrange the flowers and bind the stalks.

It wasn't long before they mounted and rode towards the Brighton residence. Ben held the flowers glancing at them from time to time imagining her reaction upon receiving them and reading the note he had placed within the bouquet.

The closer he came to once again seeing her, the faster his heart raced. His nervousness rested upon her acceptance of him. When she had last seen him, he had a youthful face and a slender build. Today, he wore a beard on the sides of his jaw and he was a man. Because of her young age, he worried she would find him intimidating.

When they rode up to the Brighton household, Ben saw movement in the front window. He smiled wondering if Vivian awaited his arrival. He dismounted, tied the reins of his horse to the hitching rings, all the while trying to keep from crushing the flowers.