Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte

Charlotte wrapped her arm around her husband's waist as Radley turned to greet Ben and his sister. Instead of a bow, he shook Ben's hand and kissed Vivian's cheek. "It is so good of you to come so quickly."

Vivian, direct as ever, informed him, "Yesterday, we packed in preparation to come. Charlotte insisted that you would send for her. With such a mess, I could not imagine being prepared for our arrival. Did you find the linens?"

Ben laughed and hugged her shoulder. "If he didn't, we brought enough."

Radley grinned at his sister, who often worried over such things. "Not to worry, Vivian. We recovered most of the stolen items. If not, I would have sent a list. With Quint here, the rooms have been restored. Though, Talbot's carelessness left damages to some of the furniture. Come inside. Father will join us shortly."

Radley walked them inside. Charlotte, however, stopped just inside the foyer to look up. Her gaze studied the chandelier, sparkling from the sun as it shone through the window upon the glass prisms.

"It is so beautiful. Look at the colors it makes against the walls."

He glanced up at the colorful lights, which he had seen multiple times. However, her enthusiasm had him seeing it through her enjoyment. Such a small thing that she seemed to take such pleasure in seeing. "It is so good to have you here, Charlotte." Her gaze dropped from studying the rainbow of lights to look at him, and he saw the affection for him shinning there in her eyes.

Without hesitation, she stepped to him and cupped his face. "I am so glad I am back with you." Her eyes drifted down to stare at his cheek. A small smile slowly widened her lips, and then she giggled as she felt of his rough beard. "I like this masculine look. You should neglect your razor more often, husband."

To tease her, he leaned down and rubbed his face against her neck. When she laughed, he whispered into her ear, saying, "I believe I will keep it until morning. You may like other sensations it brings to you." She studied the look in his eyes, and knew he spoke of pleasure.

Vivian watched her brother play with Charlotte and asked Benny, "Should we give them a moment?"

He nodded. "Perhaps we can find someone to fetch us some refreshments."

"An excellent idea." She slipped her arm in his and guided him towards the kitchen. There was always someone working with food.

"Where do you think you two are going?" Radley called out as he took Charlotte's hand to follow after them.

"I don't see Quint, so I'm going to the kitchen to order tea. Where is he?"

"He's probably sitting by the basement door guarding the prisoners."

"What do you mean prisoners? You capture more?" Ben asked.

"I'll tell you all about my day once Father joins us. Let's go into the breakfast room and order tea."

They made themselves comfortable at the table. Radley picked up a silver bell and rang it. Surprisingly, a maid hurried in pushing a tray and began to serve tea and other delights.

"That is efficient," Charlotte said with awe.

"That's Quint," Radley said with a crooked grin. "He always anticipates my needs and those of guests. He makes my life much easier." Just as he said this, Quint appeared.

"Will there be anything more, Milord?"

"I believe you have seen to everything, Quint. 'Tis most pleasant to have you back." Quint bowed and exited the room.

Just as the maid began to pour the tea, Reginald stepped into the room. "Greetings, all. Forgive my tardiness, but I wouldn't dare greet you covered in dirt." He stepped to Vivian and kissed her cheek, then reached out and squeezed Ben's shoulder before he stopped beside Charlotte, who sat beside Radley at the head of the table.