Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel

Ben lifted Vivian's hand and kissed the fingers of her left hand, even though she wore her glove. "My parents will wish to celebrate our union since they couldn't be here. I have hopes that your father will attend without malice. He will not be happy with our sudden marriage. But I want you to know that I will be there for you whether his actions bring tears, anger, or laughter."

"I will be honest, Benny. I'm disgusted that he forced this on us. We would have waited. I know you would have taken our courtship slowly—at least a month before I demanded you marry me." Her eyes twinkled in the dimly lit coach as he grinned at her. "I must confess that my fear that he would once again take you from me, had me planning to shorten our courtship. After not seeing you for so long, I didn't know if you would see our future together as an imposition. However, Radley insisted that you would come and see me. Though, at the time he told me that, he didn't know about our prearranged marriage. Are you aware that my father will come back to town when I don't arrive?"

"Yes, my love, I know. Nevertheless, we will be married. I plan to send a runner to him tomorrow with news of our elopement. He will understand that he has no options and coming would only create new problems between you. But I do not wish to focus on him. Tonight is our wedding and I want us to be happy. For me, this is a celebration. You will truly be mine in every way."

"As you will be mine," she said leaning in for a kiss. "I must admit if I had known of the contract, I may have had visions of our engagement and also made wedding plans. Though, there is something wonderful about not knowing. Tonight is filled with wonder. I have no expectation that could possibly lead to disappointment. Our love is like a new bloom that is opening and leading into a lifetime together."

"You have romance in your soul. I love that about you." He touched her bottom lip. "You speak as if you have attended many weddings."

"I haven't, but that too is good. I have nothing to compare or bring disappointments that would spoil this night." She pulled her fur-lined cape around her because the dress she wore was of delicately fine material more suitable for summer.

Ben took the blanket from the other seat and spread it across her lap, then he pulled her close to his body. "It will not take us long to arrive. The damp night makes it cooler."

"Radley mentioned that he could walk me down the aisle since Father was not here. Is that what you wish?" she asked gripping his hand.

He had to explain the custom. "In some weddings, the father walked his daughter down the aisle and places her hand in the grooms. This action represents his willingness to transfer his protection in the hands of her husband. However, our service is not a formal one. The bishop will stand at the front and we will join him there. There will not be a sermon, for quick marriages like ours seldom have a congregation to hear it. Our marriage will only consist of repeating our vows. If you wish for me to stand with the bishop and you walk down the aisle with Radley, we can do so."

"If we do not need to follow rules, then we can approach the podium together. Radley can escort Charlotte inside while Michael escorts Ruth. It will be as if our family is united to watch our union if they gather around us."

"I agree. It sounds warm and loving to do so. Dalton and Owen can join them." She nodded in agreement.

"I don't have a ring for you," she said with disappointment. "Perhaps later..."

"I have one with me. It belonged to my maternal grandfather. It is simple, but he was a good man."

"Thank you. I'm glad that you thought of it. Having a ring that means something to you is special too. Perhaps the love he had for his wife will help us when trouble comes. Radley told me that couples have times when they can't agree. I expected that for few people agree with all things. He also told me that a husband has the responsibility of the home and that can be a burden if he has to fight his wife over the decisions he makes." She shrugged as if that didn't matter.